The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized there is a kit to upgrade the SC in the Exige S to TVS while keeping the stock look and intercooler.
Simply Sports Cars -SSC TVS Supercharger Upgrade kit - Lotus Exige S- Lotus

Anyone done this? This seems like a very attractive solution and I'm surprised none of the US vendors thought of this. In fact someone said the TVS wouldn't be a direct swap... well, here it is. It looks like a big portion of the cost is their plug in ECU, but with existing flash tuning options it would bring the cost down some and be an attractive solution for Exige owners.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tt

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,517 Posts
The stock intercooler and tubes are not as efficient as the other aftermarket options with this supercharger. That is my guess as to why you hve not seen it offered. The stock look might apeal to some, but I do not know that the gains of just changing the supercharger would be worth the cost.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,988 Posts
The stock intercooler and tubes are not as efficient as the other aftermarket options with this supercharger. That is my guess as to why you hve not seen it offered. The stock look might apeal to some, but I do not know that the gains of just changing the supercharger would be worth the cost.
I agree. The kit really costs too much for what it is in my opinion... To me the only advantageous part is you could easily pass a visual inspection.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the stock intercooler is not as bad as the vendors make it out to be. They want to sell you parts. All you need is better flow and you can do it by adding fans and plumbing extra air from the side scoops. It can't be worse then the small A/A intercooler in one of the aftermarket kits that is mounted to the wheel well.
Yes that kit is expensive, but it also comes with an ECU that would not be needed. All you would need is the SC, injectors, the simple intake manifold, the tubing, pulleys, belt and a tune. You won't need the the intercooler, heat exchanger, more complex intake manifold, fans, plumbing, intercooler coolent pump, and all the extra braketry that comes with it. Saving at least $1500 and yes, looking more stock to pass emissions.
If the TVS is really more efficient, then it would not generate much more heat then the factory SC.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,517 Posts
The stock intercooler is still A/A with two 180 bends in the tubes and another big bend off the supercharger itself. I am not sure what the pressure drop is from all of this but the A/W intercooler without these bends should have less pressure drop, cooler temps and better throttle responce. I'm not saying the stock setup is bad but if I were to upgrade I would do the whole system. Pros and cons to both setups and but I haven't seen the power levels of the stock setup reach the levels of the aftermarket setups.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, theoretically the bends are not ideal, but in real life the throttle response is just fine and it does the job. Most turbo cars have much longer route to go though. Again, less parts to swap, lighter, and cheaper. Its about benefit/$ and I don't see the point of throwing away a thousand dollar intercooler to buy another one and a heat exchanger.

The advantage of A/W is that you are using water which is a much larger thermal mass which will keep the temperatures more constant and yes smaller volume intake tract. The disadvantage is the added weight, cost, complexity and inefficiency of having to pull heat from air to water then back to air though the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So this kit will bolt on to the OEM Manifold ??

the stock intercooler is not as bad as the vendors make it out to be. They want to sell you parts. All you need is better flow and you can do it by adding fans and plumbing extra air from the side scoops. It can't be worse then the small A/A intercooler in one of the aftermarket kits that is mounted to the wheel well.
Yes that kit is expensive, but it also comes with an ECU that would not be needed. All you would need is the SC, injectors, the simple intake manifold, the tubing, pulleys, belt and a tune. You won't need the the intercooler, heat exchanger, more complex intake manifold, fans, plumbing, intercooler coolent pump, and all the extra braketry that comes with it. Saving at least $1500 and yes, looking more stock to pass emissions.
If the TVS is really more efficient, then it would not generate much more heat then the factory SC.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

looks like it.. the only cast piece is the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do they sell a kit with just the supercharger, outlet piece, pulley, and mounting bracket if it's different? I already have large injectors and the belt is probably about the same length, and I don't need the ECU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts