The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I got my dream Lotus Elise to perform dual duty between daily driving (within limits), and Autocross. I'm used to a harder car on the street as every one of my competition cars was also my daily driver. I realize that some compromises have to be made one way or another.

Upon searching the forum, I found that there was no one single source for an SSP prepped Lotus Elise, and thought I'd start one here. I hope that this can be a source to share ideas on setups, mods and even DIY's that will serve the solo community.

So far I'm really just feeling the car out. I have autocrossed for about 12 years in AWD and FR cars, and with the exception of a 3 month time I owned a Cayman, I've not competed with a MR car. I love how raw the car is, although I must admit my confidence driving it is just not up to par yet. I have had the rear step out on me in the first event running, and resulted in a full 360 on the course. Nothing injured except my pride. I am gradually getting the feel of her with my second event under my belt and am getting better at balancing her at the edge.

I'll start with my very poorly prepped SSP Lotus Elise.

2007 Lotus Elise (Sport and touring options)
OEM 2008 Supercharger
Larini "sports" Exhaust
15"x8" Volk TE37sl et25
Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires 205/50 AND 225/50 (60 Tread wear, DOT legal)
Stock Sport optioned suspension

My setup so far consists of just removing the shims from the front of the car to achieve a whopping -1 degree of Camber. Rears sit at about -.75 and I haven't removed any of the shims.

My short term plans are to try the Inokinetic alignment settings through the use of the V2 arms, although the ride height on mine is not adjustable and I'm stuck at 135mm and 145mm ride height.

Ride height 125 +/- 3mm 130 +/- 3mm
Camber -2.2° -2.4° to -2.7°
Toe (total) 0 3mm total toe in

I was also thinking of some aero in the way of a front splitter and a rear spoiler, but with the restrictions on the splitter being that it can't extend past the front bumper, I'm not sure how much use that will be. I wouldn't want to add the rear spoiler without the front splitter either.

So here's the start. show me your SSP prep settings (mods, parts lists, diy's... you get the point), and feel free to critique or suggest items on my own build. With the limits on SSP, It's my hopes that we can share creative solutions to get faster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to SSP. It certainly takes a lot of work with these cars, especially given which cars are in the class these days.

The biggest thing you can do in terms of speed is to go with wider wheels and hoosier A7s. Blackwatch has wide and light bogart wheels for this very reason. To get the needed width, the fenders will need to be flared.

As far as suspension, the V2 arms are unfortunately not legal for the class. To get the needed camber you either need to have the lower arms extended, or the uppers shortened. We went with the shorter uppers. The Blackwatch Penske shock package is also amazing in terms of street ride and performance on course. I would highly recommend them.

I dont remember everything we have in the car anymore, but generally this is our setup:

2007 Exige S

Wheels/Tires:
245/15 front, and 275/35/17 rear Hoosier A7s
BlackWatch Bogart wheels 15x9?, 17x10?

Suspension:
3R modified upper front control arms
Penske double adjustable coilovers
BWR front bar

Motor:
Adaptronic Standalone ECU
E85/Flex Fuel conversion
Intake
BOE intercooler
the smallest SC pulley pulley boys makes
PPE header
Larini Exhaust

Driveline:
Stiffer mounts
OS Giken LSD

Within SP rules its not very effective to make a splitter for an aero benefit, however a legal design can help protect the front clam/lip from cone strikes which is nice to have after repeated use.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Note I dont know your class rules, just what makes the car fast in general.

Can you machine the upright in SSP for more camber? Not sure of the rules.

I would run 15 x ? miata wheels with a 1" spacer in the rear and the front depending. Are you going to cut your fenders? On my TT car I run 225 A7s on 15x8 and 245 rear on 15x10 Not sure if the rears would fit without cutting fenders and the fronts will hit the light buckets etc.

Are you allowed to run extended ball joints to lower the car more?

Are you trying to win nationals? IF so I would want front and rear sway bars IMO.

Are you only on a MP45 supercharger? That's going to be a big limit in SSP you're way down on power.

Can you run the manual brakes with boas cage and front calipers on the rear? I would do this FIRST if I was allowed.

Scionized, how much WHP do you make?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to SSP. It certainly takes a lot of work with these cars, especially given which cars are in the class these days.

The biggest thing you can do in terms of speed is to go with wider wheels and hoosier A7s. Blackwatch has wide and light bogart wheels for this very reason. To get the needed width, the fenders will need to be flared.

As far as suspension, the V2 arms are unfortunately not legal for the class. To get the needed camber you either need to have the lower arms extended, or the uppers shortened. We went with the shorter uppers. The Blackwatch Penske shock package is also amazing in terms of street ride and performance on course. I would highly recommend them.

I dont remember everything we have in the car anymore, but generally this is our setup:

2007 Exige S

Wheels/Tires:
245/15 front, and 275/35/17 rear Hoosier A7s
BlackWatch Bogart wheels 15x9?, 17x10?

Suspension:
3R modified upper front control arms
Penske double adjustable coilovers
BWR front bar

Motor:
Adaptronic Standalone ECU
E85/Flex Fuel conversion
Intake
BOE intercooler
the smallest SC pulley pulley boys makes
PPE header
Larini Exhaust

Driveline:
Stiffer mounts
OS Giken LSD

Within SP rules its not very effective to make a splitter for an aero benefit, however a legal design can help protect the front clam/lip from cone strikes which is nice to have after repeated use.

Great information. I'd love to read about your build if you have one to link to.

I would run 15 x ? miata wheels with a 1" spacer in the rear and the front depending. Are you going to cut your fenders? On my TT car I run 225 A7s on 15x8 and 245 rear on 15x10 Not sure if the rears would fit without cutting fenders and the fronts will hit the light buckets etc.

Are you trying to win nationals? IF so I would want front and rear sway bars IMO.

Are you only on a MP45 supercharger? That's going to be a big limit in SSP you're way down on power.

Can you run the manual brakes with boas cage and front calipers on the rear? I would do this FIRST if I was allowed.

Since I'm planning on running the car on the street as well, I'm giving up a few items to take the car "all the way". Right now with what I have, I think that 225 square on my setup will be what I run next season. The 225's have room lock to lock up front and I like being able to rotate them front to back as well.

I'm not sure the ball joints can be extended, all though I must admit I didn't know that extended ball joints was an option. I'll be looking into that.

I was first thinking of Nationals here in Canada, and that's really no comparison to what I know as the Nationals in the US. I would like to do both bars, Although I haven't done much research as to which set to go with yet.

Currently yes, I am running the MP45 only. No IC, and no smaller pulley on the stock ECU.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Most of this isn't class legal.

Uprights have to be stock

You kind of need the taller 17 rear for the gearing, as well as to keep the brakes "happy"

Nobody runs a rear bar on these in Autox as far as i know. It gets the inside rear too light

The exige and Elise are on the same line, but you have to run only the OEM offerings, and the motor/SC have to be swapped as a complete unit. As of this year SC pulleys are finally open though. Even still, way down on power compared to what is in the class now. Especially with the 720s being capable of easily running 8.XX quarter miles with essentially downpipes and a tune...

I agree the brakes are huge. They are terrible from the factory. I dont think you can do the manual cage legally, but its been a bit since I looked into that. We did the AP racing radi cal front caliper and moved the original front caliper to the rear. This has alleviated about 98% of the ice mode issues we ran into before, and having rear calipers that actually grip the rotor as opposed to just changing toe helped a ton with braking. That oem rear caliper is complete garbage.

We make 290whp and 190wtq at around 6000ft of elevation

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first season is in the can and I'm feeling ok with the result, but I definately could get better. I managed to get third in my local clubs Prep/Mod grouping. The group is pretty competitive, and I'm happy I show respectably beside them. I was first for most of the season, but a trip to England for Goodwood Revival and a supercharger rebuild prevented me from defending for the last three events.

I have some work to do in the future though. I have had a real issue keeping her on the track, as I tend to lift off when the car absolutely needs the opposite. I don't yet have the guts to keep the weight over the rear tires, and I haven't gotten used to how I can set up for the elements I keep spinning on. I find I'm attacking some corners too hot and correcting with the brake at exactly the wrong time. Half the time though, I wonder if I need to correct at all, and I'm just not yet confident enough to commit to the element.

To share the blame, my Pirelli Trofeo R's were the totally wrong tire for autocross. They didn't ever get to temp, but still wore like they were melting off the car. After a few minutes in grid, I feel like the tires lost every bit of heat in them and I was constantly starting from scratch again. Next year will be some A052's as I hear they are a real contender as a tire this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts