The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm Nick Myers, and I'm an autocrosser.. I started autocrossing in an Evo, then found my way into a Formula Ford.. Circumstances arouse and I have been without my own car for the past year. After months of debate and considering several options I've finally decided!! I watched Matthew Braun run the wheels off a blue Elise when I first started in the sport, and I just loved it.

My current house and fleet of non-tow vehicles makes it really difficult to have a dedicated racecar, so the closest thing to a Formula Ford has to be an Elise right?

I'm working out shipping details on this pretty car! I've very partial to white.

It's supercharged which isn't allowed in the class I want to run, so that will have to get removed. I'll also want to add the LSS package, and a LSD, among other things like shocks and a different anti-roll bar.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey Nick,

It should suit your driving style. BTW -- congratulations on CM championship.

Bob Layman

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would say add more supercharger ;) ... j/k. Congrats!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Driving it off the carrier! That was a bit unsettling.

My 1st picture after pulling it into the garage.

Parts keep showing up at my door!!
LSS/SSR unobtainium. Soon to be wrapped in Hoosiers.

Trans w/ LSD, quite the YUCK!

I couldn't help myself, I had to pull it apart. Is that a new outer cover, or just clean as new?!

:sad: She's about to lose about 40hp.

And this pile of parts includes a BWR bar, oem NA injectors, wheel studs, oil cooler to complete the lss conversion, lss bilsteins with the important lss springs...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm done with paint! It's not perfect, but really the whole front needed rock chips filled... I had to draw the line somewhere, and the red stripe made that complex. This was my 1st attempt with the high quality NAPA paint that can get mixed and put in a can. I'm actually pretty impressed with it.

This is a "bumper cover" laying on the rear boot... I'm happy with the color. I'm still trying to figure out if these "bumper covers" are aftermarket. I don't see them on pictures of other Elises.

I think this car has seen rocks at a fairly high MPH.. My original plan was to just paint the patched area and blend... The area just beside the front license plate area was awful. I ended up doing some sanding, and blended a bit further out. The paint matched the clean boot pretty well, but the dirty front is a bit more "yellow." It didn't really blend perfectly. Oh, well.. For $65 I'm happy.

You can still see rock chips toward the outer edge... I'll get over it, can't wait to have some cone marks. :D

Just a couple more pictures...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rear clam is off, and so is the supercharger...

I did not anticipate just how many items were replaced with this kit! After I pulled the blower, I stopped by the local dealer and they thankfully let me borrow their install manual for the kit. In the instructions there were 23 lines with a comment saying, "remove and discard, or remove and replace." LotusTalk was a great resource for some used parts. I'm still waiting on stuff directly from Lotus.

Just like the front, this car was filthy.

If it was november, I'd have the motor out, and would be powdercoating that rear galvanized steel.

The tank had to get dropped to replace an EVAP line, as the charcoal canister in the engine bay was relocated.

Supercharger ready to sell..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Idle hands... So while I wait for parts from Lotus.. I decided to pull the motor. The trans needed to come out anyway to add the one with the LSD so really it wasn't a big deal. And, I get to clean like I really want too.

I've dropped the frame off to Indy Powdercoating...

·
Registered
301 Posts
So the rear of the frame DOES unbolt.........

Was there any orange adhesive you had to remove to do it?

When I had to pull my engine, we debated taking the back half of the frame off as you did...but were told here that it was expoxied together and couldn't be unbolted.

Man, that would have been MUCH easier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts