The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a little known wheel option for our cars: SSR Type-F. I saw a thread a while ago where someone ordered these with 17x9 ET25 rears so the fitment was off. Well, SSR makes a specific Lotus fitment 17x8 now! UPS guy just dropped these off after I waited 3 months for em to arrive from Japan.

The fronts are 16x7 ET32 and I weighed mine at 11.6 lbs. The rears are 17x8 ET35 weighing in at 15.4 lbs. SSR uses their proprietary "semi-solid forging" process to make these out of aluminum, which is like a cross between forging and casting it seems. Priced at ~$1900 for a set, I think these should be a pretty damn good option if you want wheels this size. Looks like the only disadvantage is that the fronts are 10 spoke while the rears are 12 spoke. Oh, and you can't fit these on a Renault Grand Scenic apparently.

I'll be putting them on my Exige on (edit: September when I get back in town...) Friday so I'll post photos and fitment impressions then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful set of wheels! Can't wait for the pics of them mounted. Are you going to mount them on stock sized tires?
Yeah, the tires on my stock wheels are still pretty good so I'll use those until they're worn down. Then I'll step up to 225/45/16 and 245/40/17 on the Hankook Z214s.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Awesome! Please post pictures when installed :)

Which source did you order from?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Still no photos?! Im dying to see how they look :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so I got my car back after blowing up 3rd gear back in June and having a real fun time swapping in a E153! Anyway, I finally got these wheels on. I opted to paint these satin black right away to save me the trouble of getting the tires remounted.

The fitment of the wheels is awesome, as you can see. The hub rings they sent for the front wheels don't fit the Lotus hub so I'l need to machine the inner diameter down a bit. The rears are hubcentric already. I'm gonna try to hunt down some Lotus center caps that fit these.

As for the tires, I wanted to try something fresh so I got BFG g-Force R1s in 205/55/16 and 255/40/17. The front fits nicely, despite seeming a bit tall - they're a 24.5" diameter versus a 24.9" 225/50/16 Hankook Z214 which I'll be trying next and should probably be the largest you can squeeze in there.

The rears however, are probably 10mm to wide for me - they JUST BARELY contact the reservoir line fitting on my Nitron doubles. So I can either downsize the tire or toss on some 10mm spacers. Not sure what to do yet. Ideally I'd be on 225/50/16 and 245/40/17 Hankook Z214s since they're priced so well and probably perform the same as these BFGs or Hoosiers.

I'll post some updated shots and impressions if I figure out my tire situation.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
creaturekris, what sizes are yours? They look a bit different in terms of offset

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 17x9's in the rear with no spacer and 245 hoosier r6 tires, the car is very low and I have no rubbing. They were bought here on the board from docjay and I think he custom ordered a few sets. I will have to look at the offset when i get home.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks amazing! What did the set run you shipped if you dont mind me asking?
I paid $1830 + $120 for shipping from Autotalent.com back in April.

The wheel says 5X100 yet there are only 4 holes in your wheels! Are these special ordered?
Whoa, I never noticed that before! I might have an ultra rare misprint set on my hands here! They're listed on the SSR catalog but aren't readily stocked anywhere. You can expect to wait about 3 months to get these shipped out to you from Japan.

·
Super Moderator
6,545 Posts
You can expect to wait about 3 months to get these shipped out to you from Japan.
That's because they waited until they had enough product to fill a container. It also explains your low shipping cost. You can get them shipped much sooner, but it will cost you more.

San

1 - 18 of 18 Posts