The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tidalwdave has a bunch more high-res pictures coming of the car and details of the car, but here are a few comments about the show:

Rep from Dimmitt pulled up with the car about 10am.

The car garnered immediate attention. In fact the red Enzo you can see in the background of this pic was almost ignored by the crowd as there were constantly about 5-15 people around the Elise. Walking around during the morning and afternoon, with cars ranging from 959's to F50's I never saw constant crowds around any other cars besides the Elise. People would linger around other cars, but they seemed to hover around the Elise for long periods.

The Dimmitt folks were there in force, and seemed like a great bunch of guys. They were very knowledgable, and they allowed a pretty high degree of "inspection" of the car. When the engine was shut off at the beginning of the day, I took this shot:

RG is'nt my bag, but the color looked nice none-the-less:

The seats seemed much the same to me as the 111S's, but I really liked the steering wheel much more than I thought I would. Pictures don't do the size of it justice- it's very small. I found the shift linkage to be very positive and "snicky". The throw was much more weighty than the 111s's linkage. I was really impressed by the shifter.

Here's a suspension shot- the car looked like it sat higher than it did in pics from LA.

One of the Dimmitt techs told me a couple of things: First, they have not yet received any service manuals on the car, they have no schedules for workshops planned yet. He said the techs are hungry for info from Lotus and have asked repetitively for same.

He also said that the #2 deposit holder has commissioned Dimmitt to design and intall an intercooled turbo immediately after the car arrives. The customer has purchased several Bentleys and Rolls' from them, so cost is apparently no object for the project. The customers stated target for the car is 400 hp.

The show was amazing with what I would estimate to be 200 very nice cars. It was good to meet tidalwdave and broken r1- good guys who will probably post more and better pics.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Great meeting you today Jim. I had a great time at the show. I'm putting pennies away for the sport exhaust. The stock sounded pretty wimpy. :( Who got the video of it? Of course, we missed when it was revved up.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tidalwdave said:
Great meeting you today Jim. I had a great time at the show. I'm putting pennies away for the sport exhaust. The stock sounded pretty wimpy. :( Who got the video of it? Of course, we missed when it was revved up.
Likewise Dave- One of the reps told me not to pay attention to the exhaust note- he said that the production version will sound much better (don't know how he knows that tho). I heard it in the morning only at idle and it was nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do! Just need someone to host it!
Best,
John
PS I, too, noticed the Elise was pulling attention away from the Enzo!

tidalwdave said:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I can host it, how large is the file?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
_JD_ said:
He also said that the #2 deposit holder has commissioned Dimmitt to design and intall an intercooled turbo immediately after the car arrives. The customer has purchased several Bentleys and Rolls' from them, so cost is apparently no object for the project. The customers stated target for the car is 400 hp.

Did he elaborate on this? Did he mention pulling the motor for a build up, or motor swap? Who sourced the turbo? Spec'd the ECU? Etc? Thats a large project to throw at a dealer, one that most dealers arent going to want ( or be able to for that matter)to touch no matter how much money a person has.

Im curious now.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: St. Petersburg, FL Festival of Speed photos of Fed Elise

OneFastMiata said:
Did he elaborate on this? Did he mention pulling the motor for a build up, or motor swap? Who sourced the turbo? Spec'd the ECU? Etc? Thats a large project to throw at a dealer, one that most dealers arent going to want ( or be able to for that matter)to touch no matter how much money a person has.

Im curious now.
Lessee,

He inferred that they would be using the Toyota motor and that the storage in the boot would have to be used b/c of the placement of the intercooler. He said that the hp numbers the customer wanted exceeded what could be accomplished by a SC and that an intercooler would be needed w/o question. The tech was still contacting turbo mnfg's and seemed to be in the planning stages of the project. He said that it will have to be put together w/ trial and error due to the lack of any systems that they could use as a baseline. No mention of cylinder linings, or internals being revamped/strengthened. Check your pm's in a minute.

Jim

·
Registered
521 Posts
I understood it to be more of making it the baddest Elise out there rather than swapping engines and making it less "Elise" like and more Kit car, custom like.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i was at the FOS as well, and sat in the elise alot!
i was right in front of you when you were taking that exhaust pic, and my parents thought it was funny :)
i am absolutely addicted to the elise, but even if i had the money, it would be a cold day in hell before my parents would let me have one :(
i'm holding out :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
two elises in brandon!

tidalwdave, I guess there will be two elises in brandon. I live in valrico and have a red elise on order from dimmett also with the touring pkg. hope to run into u soon. I'm one of first nine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: two elises in brandon!

tiga said:
tidalwdave, I guess there will be two elises in brandon. I live in valrico and have a red elise on order from dimmett also with the touring pkg. hope to run into u soon. I'm one of first nine.
Excellent man! Send me a PM. I'd like to meet ya before we get the cars. XconZ on this board is also from our area getting a red one. We can have some cool meets/drives right off the bat! I'm in the top 20, car by Aug/Sept. I hope! There are others in the Tampa area getting an Elise. Man, this will be a great group!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts