The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in my test drive of the Euro Spec Elise that the gauge set were Stack Guages! Hmmm... does that mean that the guages have data logging or memory with replay??

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
jrgibb said:
The Elise had the Stack dash until last 2002, it now has a Shurlock dash.
out of curiosity, are there any pictures of the new gauges floating around? Any fancy features associated with them (memory, replay, logging, etc.)?

·
Registered
163 Posts
There a pics of the dash a friend took of the Euro spec car that was at Symbolic in Beverly Hills. Not sure if its Shurlock or what, but it is blue.....

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
What gauges are on the car. I drove one and just noticed the tach and speedo. There was a digital odometer, but I saw that it had soemthing else on the digital readout, but it was metric and had idea what it was

Is there be a gas gauge, or oil pressure/temp water temp gauge too? I'd hate to find out that I had just ran out of gas, or that my engine just fried because of a coolant or oil leak that I could have been given a hint of by seeing a abnormal gauge reading.

Ps. Is there an inside release for the trunk? I searched and couldnt find it, but I thought the dealer hit something and it opened when I first when to check out the car a few days earlier

·
Registered
74 Posts
The gauges are now illuminated orange as apparently people had trouble reading the (far far cooler) blue.

The digital display shows :-

total mileage, trip counter, fuel level, and engine temp (ie water temp - if you've got a coolant leak you'll know about it)

there is no oil or temp reading as std but you can rewire the unit to display it

inside release for the BOOT :p - no there isnt you have to take the key out of the ignition to open it, or carry round a spare key.

no idea what you saw that was metric - we use miles here too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
>>I noticed in my test drive of the Euro Spec Elise that the gauge set were Stack Guages! Hmmm... does that mean that the guages have data logging or memory with replay??

Stack did one but it was for the 340r, there has never been this option on the Elise as far as I know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
moose said:
The gauges are now illuminated orange as apparently people had trouble reading the (far far cooler) blue.
Blue rocks. No problem reading it, although the documented feature to switch the intensity of the display doesn't work on my car. Can't be bothered though: it reads out fine at night.

moose said:
inside release for the BOOT :p - no there isnt you have to take the key out of the ignition to open it, or carry round a spare key.
This is btw a great tip I received when I picked up the car: make a spare key and carry it around. If on some morning you accidently though your coat or bag in the boot with your key in it and close the boot, you have a problem since it falls in a lock :)

I always carry a spare key in my pocket :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
BryanH said:
So there is a fuel gauge! I didn't see one and was beginning to think you had to get out and check a fuel dipstick or some madness like that. ;)
It really is brilliant since it's on the stack display and under a certain number of liters (gallons, whatever) it just blinks "REFILL"... so watch your trip odometer. Did hear it was improved upon in the MY 2004 111s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Stack unit in my 2001 Elise (which is away having a new rear clam fitted as someone ran into the back of me at a stop light) but the 6 month old hire Elise I have in the meantime is badged up 'Lotus' rather than Shurlock.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
moose said:
no idea what you saw that was metric - we use miles here too!
The gas gauge on the European Elise that I test drove read in Liters instead of gallons.

I would hate the blue lights - I don't car what looks "good", I want them to function properly with my eyes at night. I don't need blue lights destroying my night vision when I'm on a dark twisty back road...

Actually, I'd rather have a good old fashioned green display...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mines blue and I agree with lotus that its hard to see. Makes it hard to focus on the numbers etc. Not that it matters as you can see where the needle is and you shouldn't need to read the numbers really. Also looks very cool, but I can see why they changed it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FYI - even in Stack-equipped cars there was no data-logger except in the Motorsport cars. You could purchase the datalogger for like $8K though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wish they could have painted a redline on the tach so I could tell, with a quick glance, when I was approaching max engine speed in spirited driving. Maybe the aftermarket will take care of that one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The red shift light in the tach back plate will come on and then you know it's getting tome to move up a gear.. Easier to spot..

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts