The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience stacking cars in a garage? My sense is that I do not have enough vertical room, because of the garage door, but I thought I would ask. What is the minimum height required, and what device wastes the least vertical space?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I plan on doing the same in my new house I’m moving to and would be interested in the same information. I am planning on a side mount door motor and moving the door rails higher to the ceiling so when the garage door is open it’s as close to the ceiling as possible.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Just depends on how big your garage is, how high your ceiling is and whether you would have enough room around it.

A few years back I studied and studied on this, and concerning an Europa. After several measurements and remeasurements I concluded that we had enough inches available to make it work. But it was just so close that I was concerned eventual operator error would create a terrible story.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What is your ceiling height? Stacking cars using a lift is usually accomplished in a garage bay with a “high lift garage door conversion” that allows the door to be closer to the ceiling when up, allowing for more useable vertical space underneath.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,369 Posts
I have a beam in the middle of my garage making it almost impossible to stack two cars, I could likely fit another Lotus under it but no way would a normal car fit above or below. The picture shows the beam and the car is not at the highest point it will go. The platform is 6" or so in height and I think that was average when I was looking at lifts, you also have to factor in enough room to unlock the platform, maybe 4"-6" or so above where it rests on a latch/rung. So you would need at least 10" above the height of both cars to stack them.

·
Registered
1987 ESPRIT hci
10 Posts
I have a 10'-0" clear garage and can stack my Esprit and Plus 2 although there isn't much room to spare. Also worked with my Europa and TVR. I did have the garage door raised

IMG_4865 (2).JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts