The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SEE FINAL UPDATE AT END OF THREAD

STAGE 2 INSTALL

I finally finished the installation of the Stage 2 this weekend. Not that hard to do, but had a few issues along the way. Took about 3 hours.

Here’s how I did it:
1. Put car up on Rhino ramps, removed diffuser and engine under tray.
2. Remove aluminum access panel on passenger side. This is a small panel with 4 screws that attach to the heat shield. You must remove this to allow exhaust to slide over. This is where one side of the exhaust drops down and slides left to remove from cat pipe.
3. Removed Hanger Bolts and rubber bushings from Access Panel side. These pieces are on the exhaust hanger long stud. Remove and place on new exhaust.
4. LOOSEN Hanger Bolts on driver’s side. DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS AND BUSHINGS ON THIS SIDE.
5. Remove exhaust clamp nut and applied PB blaster to joint. Let sit for 15 minutes and then separated pipes. Slide exhaust to the left, disengage exhaust from hanger bolts on driver’s side, drop exhaust down and remove from car. CAREFUL: The exhaust is heavy; it dropped on my chest, as I wasn’t ready for the weight. Ouch!! :eek:
6. Now I prepped the Diffuser Panel to enlarge the opening for the new exhaust, using template that comes with the exhaust.
7. Taped template over existing opening, traced cutout line with Sharpie.
8. I used a combination of Dremmel and Jigsaw tools to cut/enlarge opening. Aluminum cuts fairly easily, but making some of the turns was tough. Initial cut was rough. So I used a Dremmel with sanding stone attachment to smooth and feather edges. No sharp edges, OK to handle.
9. I took the Diffuser panel to a powder coater and had it done in a textured black. (pics at a later date.)
10. Now to install Stage 2. Start by re-inserting hanger stud on exhaust into the hanger bushings on driver’s side first.
11. Lift exhaust up and slide exhaust pipe onto cat pipe. MAKE SURE EXHAUST CLAMP IS ON EXHAUST PIPE BEFORE YOU CONNECT PIPES. Otherwise you will have to take them apart again. DO NOT tighten exhaust clamp until you complete Steps 13 & 14 below.
12. NOTE: OEM exhaust clamp wasn’t used, as it didn’t tighten down enough on Stage 2 exhaust. I bought a Stainless Steel T-clamp (Summit Racing, $5.50) instead.
13. Raise other side of exhaust and reattach passenger side hanger bolts and bushings to rear sub-assembly.
14. BEFORE tightening hanger bolts, position new exhaust at center point of car. I test fitted the Diffuser panel to make sure it is lined up properly.
15. Tighten Exhaust Clamp and all other bolts. Refit Access Panel.
16. I started and ran the car for several minutes before re-fitting all the under trays.
17. SOUNDS GREAT!!
18. When I have everything back together with powder coated diffuser and boomerang tow hook from Sector 111, will post final pics.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

Wayne
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics...

Wayne
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STAGE 2 INSTALL - UPDATE

I finally finished putting the whole thing together, including the black powder-coated diffuser panel and Sector 111 "boomerang" tow hook.

Powder-coating was $50.

I bought the Exige diffuser edging (silicone split tubing) to get the black color. The Elise tubing is silver. Silicone is a PITA to glue/bond to powder-coated metal. I ended up using Loctite "superglue".

I also used some garden sprinkler system hose, which I split with a razor blade and snapped onto the edge of the diffuser. Much easier to work with, but a little thicker, and heavier, too. :rolleyes:

The tow hook was simple to install. I bought some additional hardware: spacers, lock washers and longer bolts to attach the piece.

To keep the tow hook "tongue" from bouncing off the diffuser, I bought a pack of industrial strength Velcro patches. I put them all around the contact area on the tongue. Turns out that powder-coated metal is a "Low Surface Energy" (LSE) substrate, so I got some LSE adhesive and built an insert spacer with LSE adhesive on each side and put it between the diffuser and the Velcro pieces. Everything stays put now.

I like the new look and the Stage II is really a great-sounding exhaust! :clap:

Regards,
Wayne
 

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top