The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this stage 2 exhaust...very clean, unobtrusive look!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
So this was the car I drove by today at Big Sur point. It was going uphill trailing a pack of other cars and I did not notice anything unsuall about exaust note. I thought stage 2 was very loud, no?

I was almost tempted to turn around and catch up with it to take a closer look;-)

MattG said:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, stage 2 is pretty loud. The driver was probably just being very conscious about taking it easy and breaking in the car.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MattG said:
It looks good but you can barely see the Stage 1 exhaust anyway.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I wonder if the diffuser in the vicinity of the exhasut tips gets any soot on it with use. And if this varies with the different setups.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sound byte please! and why hide those exhaust tips? Is it just really cold where that pic was taken :p

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: Re: Stage 2 Lotus Elise exhaust (pics)

apkom said:
. I thought stage 2 was very loud, no?

Yes it is quite loud. I'm willing to bet that ones neighbors would find it obnoxiously loud.

Inside the car, below 6000 rpm, it's loud. With the windows up, it's even louder.

MW and I got to ride in this car. I'm waiting for her to post most of the pictures and comment on our experience. In the meantime, here's the picture everyone wanted MW to take when we all were at the Lotus corral at the Concorso Italiano.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think the sound of the stock exhaust is nice. How much power is stage II suppose to make and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
I think the sound of the stock exhaust is nice. How much power is stage II suppose to make and how much does it cost?
I'll leave the hp gain to someone else. I was told the price was ~$700, but I don't think that is the installed price.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
but it does weigh less...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I could've sworn that at Barber the Lotus folks stated that the stage 1 was a couple pounds lighter w/ no hp gain but stage 2 was significant weight savings w/ 3-4 hp. Has that claim changed now or am I just wrong?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
_JD_ said:
I could've sworn that at Barber the Lotus folks stated that the stage 1 was a couple pounds lighter w/ no hp gain but stage 2 was significant weight savings w/ 3-4 hp. Has that claim changed now or am I just wrong?
I had thought so too, but I went back and found this thread and it seems HP gains were never reported for sure :confused:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2887

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
i cant believe a decent exhaust with as few bends as possible cant make any more horsepower than the stocker...
it certainly will be interesting to see what happens when this car starts getting some parts made by GOOD tuners...
how can they sell an exhaust for 7-800 bucks and not have any increase in power?? dont just say "cause its lighter," ..IT SHOULD BE LIGHTER ANYWAY!!!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
evomind said:
i cant believe a decent exhaust with as few bends as possible cant make any more horsepower than the stocker...
But assuming that the stock exhaust was well designed, why would a different cat-back only with no corresponding intake mods be expected to change much?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
because the manufacturer has to meet meet certain federal regs that after market does not...
granted, most gains will come from the headers or exhaust manifold.....
just 800 bucks is a lot of money for an exhaust where the only performance gain is 10 less pounds....
ive just never seen a good exhaust system NOT give performance gains...of course im used to either v-8's or turbo cars...
also, i understand it will be very hard to extract much more power from this motor being a small 4 banger non turbo engine...
to see any gains might have to take the cat out and let the exhaust breathe better through better headers or something

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Stage 2 Lotus Elise exhaust (pics)

Ancient Wedgie said:
In the meantime, here's the picture everyone wanted MW to take when we all were at the Lotus corral at the Concorso Italiano.
Man, what a horrible cutting job. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts