The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stage 1 a few years back, I removed the silencer with the stock exhaust, because it was acting like a vacuum sweeping the road into the filter.
Stage 2 this spring I installeda Stage 2 and love it except, I'm thinking I want some silencer effect back to minimize the 3400-3800 rpm drone somewhat. Any ideas?? Reinstall 1/2 of the silencer or a short downturned smooth tube with trumpet on the end?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Stage II is fine when it's cold, but serious droning when is hot especially under load around 4000RPM. The problem is coming from the insulation material in the muffler.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Replacing the snorkel on the airbox will not change the drone of your muffler.

My suggestion: ear plugs.
+1 except my suggestion is change mufflers.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
But, but, I like the Stage II's howling the most when it runs in high RPM. I heard so many different mufflers in HK, but none have the machincal sound as LTS Stage II has in the high RPM.

So I installed a 10" sub to over come it.:D

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Going from NA to vf2 resulted in a drone-free ride. The IC must have quelled the racket. Expensive solution, but you won't regret it.

-Robert

·
Registered
821 Posts
But, but, I like the Stage II's howling the most when it runs in high RPM. I heard so many different mufflers in HK, but none have the machincal sound as LTS Stage II has in the high RPM.

So I installed a 10" sub to over come it.:D
Then I guess we go back to RoadDad's suggestion.:shrug:

Forced induction (turbo's in my experience) does seem to quiet drone...(great excuse for a turbo.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Drive it over 4K all the time :shrug:

I wear earplugs with my stage II if I am taking a long highway ride.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
If anyone that are capable to open up a LTS Stage II and replace the insulation material to a non compacted material (when hot) then it will be perfect.

Or simply copy the LTS II with better insulation material.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts