The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided I really want the stage 2 exhaust. I however can't seem to swallow an $850 bill for just a muffler. I figure that almost $250.00 was just for the labor alone and was not worth them doing. So considering I can get the muffler for $625.00 it now seems to make more sense for this upgrade. I wanted to know how to properly jack the car up or (rhino ramps) and how hard is the muffler install (access/removal etc) Any thoughts on how best cut the diffuser etc. Loking for any thoughts on this as Im sure there are a few that may want to do it themselves and save some bucks. I also need to start to get familiar with the diffuser/undertray as I plan on doing my own $150.00 oil changes :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The car will back onto plastic ramps no problem. The rear section of the diffuser needs to drop off. (By the way you can do an oil change with only this portion off) The template is referenced to the existing hole and the new perimeter is then marked onto it. Working from the back to avoid any tool marks (or lay down some masking tape) you can use a fine bladed electric jigsaw to make the cut and then follow this with some easy file work until you are happy. The aluminum used is very soft and easy to cut. You might need to be careful how far you slide the exhaust onto the rear portion of the cat tubing so that the tips wind up centered and don't rub the diffuser anywhere.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
plasma cutter for thin guage alum is way overkill. Not too much to trim, rough it out with tin snips, then file or die grinder this is very soft alum.

Chris
Retired sheet metal worker.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
DREMEL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts