The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about buying the stage II exhaust but ABSOLUTELY HATE the look of the single tip. Would it greatly effect the sound signature if I cut it off and welded on a dual tip?

Is there enough room to do it? I am sure I'd void the warranty on the exhaust, but have never known them to go bad under 60k miles.

What are the pros and cons to this??

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well it is all cosmetic, but maybe you can make a cover for the existing pipe with a dual outlet look. This way you will not need to cut the exhaust and weld two pipes onto it.

I will say just forget about it. You are not going to see the tailpipe while you are driving anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, I can't see it but know it's there. I love the back of the car and just think the single exhaust tip looks the opening of a small squashed trumpet. Not appealing.

Would definitely prefer to avoid cutting the tip off, but know that there are a lot of "Y" Dual Tip pipes.

Shouldn't be too hard to swap them out....unless there is a nasty bend right behind the current tip. Forgot what the II looks like

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
I am seriously thinking about buying the stage II exhaust but ABSOLUTELY HATE the look of the single tip. Would it greatly effect the sound signature if I cut it off and welded on a dual tip?

Is there enough room to do it? I am sure I'd void the warranty on the exhaust, but have never known them to go bad under 60k miles.

What are the pros and cons to this??
are you looking at the stage 2 more for a cosmetic upgrade or to lighten the car?

Stage 1 looks better imo than the stock or stage 2, imo.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Re: Re: Stage II Exhaust - New tip?

BrianK said:
are you looking at the stage 2 more for a cosmetic upgrade or to lighten the car?

Stage 1 looks better imo than the stock or stage 2, imo.
both. i would like the look of stage 1 with the weight of stage 2.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also prefer the look of the Stage I, but with the lesser weight and increased DB of the Stage II.

Right now it's merely rumor that they are changing the tip.

Can anyone else confirm??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA HA HA, true "Confirm" was probably not the right word.

How about "Has anyone else heard this rumor?"

:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
HA HA HA, true "Confirm" was probably not the right word.

How about "Has anyone else heard this rumor?"

:)
Yes! :D

Although to be fair, Shinoo might have heard it from me...

During my factory visit I was told the Stage 2 exhaust would have the dual tips like the Stage 1. I think they didn't want to get into having the dealers modify the under-tray.

·
Registered
21 Posts
finally.... stage 2 exhaust system seen in the flesh...

Basically, two pipes which barely protude from underneath the undertray... I'm sure this will look odd... The dealer will be fitting an Elise/Exige with the exhasut later next week so I'll try and gt some pics..

There are two options with the undertray, either the dealer can modify the existing undertray to accept the new pipe dimensions/form or you can purchase an new undertay from Lotus (price/delivery date not known yet...)
the cost of the stage 1 exhaust has gone down for £599 to £449 and the stage 3 will be £599... not sure what US pricings will be.

I'll be getting my 111R on 1st Spet and will update you guys on the system...

3 pics to follow

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
thanks for posting those pics. I like those better than the other stage 2. But i don't know about the hidden outlets. What's the difference if they're hidden? I still like the protruding, fatter outlets of the stage 1.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
That's perfect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i like the look of the exhaust tip from the pix that bell and colvill posted before, it looks cleaner and nothing is obstructing the shape and flow of the difuser. just an opinion

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah I am kinda on the fence. Part of me likes how it goes flush with the diffuser. Kind of function over form.

But I also miss an agressive looking exhaust outlet.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts