The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the fence... need to make a decision in time for my 1,000 mile service. Having never heard it, please share your thoughts... thank you

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Ideally you should hear sport exhausts personally. And after they have loaded up with soot/carbon which takes somewhere around 1,000 miles. I have a Stage 2 on my car and love it. I'm about one hour North of NYC if you care to check it out.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
PROS: louder and lighter

CONS: louder and requires cutting of diffuser.

whether the louder part is a pro or con is completely subjective

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
louder = good (if it sounds good)

however, once the diffuser is cut, it is cut, and there is no switching back... I wish that dealerships would stop selling their demo's and let them serve their intended purpose. Anyone local to Newport Beach with a stage II for me to hear? (wishful thinking) :bow:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
ROCKCENTER said:
louder = good (if it sounds good)

however, once the diffuser is cut, it is cut, and there is no switching back... I wish that dealerships would stop selling their demo's and let them serve their intended purpose. Anyone local to Newport Beach with a stage II for me to hear? (wishful thinking) :bow:
Patrick has a Stage 2 in Newport. I have a quicksilver exhaust and will be at Newport Euro for my 1000 mile service tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I personally think it is a waste of money. There are other exhausts out there, and there will soon be tubo kits and I am assuming supercharger kits. Save your money and buy real performance. Remember with a 10 lb to 1 hp ratio, if you lose 20 pounds, you will have made 2 hp. Another good rulse of thumb is that a normal person can not tell a difference in performance unless it makes at least a 5% increase in performance. Something to think about.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Rockcenter-let me tell you-my QS exhaust is significantly louder than stock and Stage two (I heard Stan's). I mean when I jump on it, it turns heads. In my humble opinion, it now sounds as good as it looks. If loud is good, then the QS is very good. I wish I knew how to attach a sound bite, but I'm technically challenged in this area.

And the gurgle/burble is really great. My wife said it sounds like a race car, which to me is a good thing. Very throaty. I hope Stan makes it down to the autoX next week so we can compare.

There's another thread on the QS in the engine area, and there's some speculation after preliminary testing that the QS might be adding HP as well. That's unconfirmed. It feels a bit peppier, but maybe that's a result in my brain of it sounding so much more powerful. I remember a comparison of the Elise to a Cobra some time ago, and the result was pretty even in terms of speed. The editor concluded that if you wanted to hear the throaty V8, go for the Mustang. He then said if you just wnt to make things smaller in your rearview mirror, buy the Elise. With this exhaust you get both!! :D

Another benefit of it over Stage 2-you can do it yourself, no cutting on the diffuser.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I thought the Quicksilver was supposed to be much quieter than the Lotus Stage 2 setup?!?!? It does seem to have a noticeably smaller muffler can from what I can see in the PICs..and that is where the muffling occurs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Stan said:
I thought the Quicksilver was supposed to be much quieter than the Lotus Stage 2 setup?!?!? It does seem to have a noticeably smaller muffler can from what I can see in the PICs..and that is where the muffling occurs.
i was also under the impression that the QS is softer than Stage2. I have the QS and love it. To me it sounds absolutely perfect. At about 650 and an easy self install, i don't see how you can go wrong.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I hear/read all these things, too, but mine IS louder. Maybe it's because I had to rotate the pipe clamp, and created an opening where they meet when reclamping from the side. I will investigate, but I kind of doubt it. If so, it would explain a lot. I still like it :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I loved how the Stage 2 sounded, it really seemed to complement the Elise nicely and finish off the design, making the stock exhaust sound out of place by comparison. However, I feel the stage 2 would be too loud for daily driving and casual use.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The Stage 2 sounds great to me but so does the Quicksilver. No one has published any dB differences between the Stage 2 and stock (that I know of). Check our site to see the dB differences between the Quicksilver vs. Stock.

Some more data for you:
The Stock exhaust weighs 25.6lbs
Stage 2 weighs 18 lbs.
Quicksilver weighs 14.6lbs

Check the Quicksilver thread for dyno results on Randy's car with the Quicksilver. I think Stan posted dyno results for his Stage 2. Yes, I know you can't really compare them...:rolleyes: Just keep in mind the data is from 2 different cars, tested at 2 different times on 2 different dynos, yada, yada, yada...:D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Shinoo we really should arrange to do some noise measurements.

These would be spectral measurements as well as A-weighted, overall SPLs (sound pressure levels), so we could compare the different noise "signatures".

We could test a stock exhaust, a Stage II and a Quicksilver. Ideally all would be "run in" with over 1000 miles. We'd test at idle, and at some agreed-upon set of RPMs. Uniformly.

I've got some gear, all we need are cars ! :p

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I would love to see those results. QS is loud, and it requires you to turn up the radio, which might get annoying to passengers. As a driver, I love the constant reminder of the power :)

I wonder if Stan has a measuring device for the next time we get together. Also, on Nov 7th there's an autoX at Ripken, and perhaps the guys who were there last weekend will return. We could compare all three there.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
offroadr35 said:
Patrick has a Stage 2 in Newport. I have a quicksilver exhaust and will be at Newport Euro for my 1000 mile service tomorrow morning.
I would suggest that you PM PatrickO to see if you can arrange to hear his Stage II and head to Newport European tomorrow to hear offroader35's QS exhaust (or arrange a ride). You will then be one of the few (if any) that have heard both.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I wonder if Stan has a measuring device for the next time we get together. <<<

I had it with me last time believe it or not!! We could have compared Stage 2 and stock on the meter in addition to subjectively as we did at the time.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
ChrisB said:
You will then be one of the few (if any) that have heard both.
I have heard both, but not a lot of time with the Stage 2. The problem is that its difficult to compare what this exhaust sounds like to an exhaust I heard a week ago.

We need to get two cars together. Patricko... want to drive down this weekend?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Here is a Stage 2 tip surrounded by a factory suggested diffuser pass through. It might be possible to fit one without cutting! In any event the cutting is pretty straightforward.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts