The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stainless Steel Brake Line Install Walkthrough complete with PHOTOS!!! :coolnana:

Hopefully the title will make this easy to find when people try their searches.

I found it here:
Lotus Elise elisenet.com: for unique Lotus Elise accessories, Lotus Elise information and hints & tips for your Lotus Elise

OK, so it appears to be an older model, but the calipers look similar and the attachment points do too. It is a great step in the right direction for a reference guide.

The link shows GOODRIDGE brake line install on an Elise.

I did a sector111 install this weekend, but had the goodridge lines too (they were my friends, we ran out of time and decided to do the install another weekend). I didn't take pictures as the install was messy for me. I will though, next time I have the wheels off, so you can see the reference points I was talking about.

Enjoy!

NOTE TO MODERATOR:
Would be freakin sweet if you could put this in the library. I have been searching for something like this for months. Finally gave up and scanned every stainless steel line post till I found this.

Dave :nanner2:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
05 Elise Rear Brake Hoses

I just installed the Sector 111 SS Brake lines today. Very straight forward, same as what you see in the photo link above.

I didn't take any photos; it is a very messy job as some of the areas (front) are a little tight and tough to get to.

You need 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm wrenches, Needle nose pliers, Sticky foam stuff, Zip Ties, 2 cans of brake fluid. Don't even attempt to try the flair nut wrenches, they are almost impossible to use in the fronts, the area is too tight.

The order I did was Passenger Rear, Driver Rear, Passenger Front, and Driver Front.

Prep:
Jack the car up and put on jack stands, remove the wheels.
Open both access panels in the front.
Remove the plastic grills over the radiator; remove the plastic bits that the grills bolt to. Pop the fuse box off the bracket (carefully though. There is a tab on the bottom that you can push in and easily slide the fuse box off) just let it dangle out of the way.
Remove the inner wheel liner on the passenger side.
Use a turkey baister to suck out as much brake fluid as you can from the reservoir.

The lines:
Start with the Passenger Rear.

REMOVAL
Follow the line up from the caliper till you see a little tab bracing it against the suspension. Use your 10mm wrench to remove the tab and let the hose dangle (save the nut). Sector111 kit comes with new clips, if you have the Goodridge kit, you need to save the clip to reuse it.
Follow the hose the rest of the way up and you will see it has a nut, followed by a tab of metal and another nut. Leave those alone for now. You want the long banjo nut (I think that is what it is called), it is 13mm. Get ready for stuff to come out, you can grab a hose like you use when you bleed the brakes to put on the banjo end or just put a rag to soak up the drips. Loosen that bolt till it is free to slide away from the hose.
Now take a 17mm and a 15mm, put the 17mm on the larger nut (same side as the banjo) and the 15mm on the other one. Remove the 17mm one and if you are using the Goodridge lines, you will need to save this (and the washer). You will not need to reuse these with the sector111 kit as they provide new ones.
Pull the line out of the hole and use the 15mm to loosen the other end from the caliper.

INSTALL
Take the new line and stick it in the caliper, turn away until it is snug. If you are using a Sector111 kit, use a 14mm to tighten the bolt.
Stick a washer on the other end of the hose (if you have the sector111 kit, if you have the Goodridge kit, you can ignore that).
Place the hose through the hole and use a washer and the 17mm nut until hand tight.
CHECK THE LINE NOW. Check to be sure it is a natural flow, not twisted or kinked. If it looks good go to the next step, if not, loosen the 17mm and let the hose unbind.
Using the 14mm wrench, hold the hose still and use the 17mm to tighten the nut so the hose is firmly in place.
Attach the banjo nut now to the hose and tighten snug with the 13mm wrench.
Use the clip to secure the brake line to the suspension and tighten with the 10mm wrench. This is where I used the needle nose pliers to squish the clip around the hose.

Do the same thing to the Drivers side rear. Tada! Two down, 2 to go!

·
Banned
874 Posts
Thanks, I might do this someday if i have the time

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
05 Elise Fronts

The lines:
Passenger Front.

Warning, this one SUCKS. You have already gotten everything out of your way that you can, but you will notice that there is a coolant hose in the way I was able to use my wrench on the inside of the little plastic thing, some people use a dremmel tool and make the hole longer. The plastic thing just happens to be the thing that holds your windshield in place, which is why I chose to NOT MESS WITH IT.

REMOVAL
Follow the line up from the caliper till you see a little tab bracing it against the suspension. Use your 10mm wrench to remove the tab and let the hose dangle (save the nut). Sector111 kit comes with new clips, if you have the Goodridge kit, you need to save the clip to reuse it.
Follow the hose the rest of the way up and you will see it has a nut. The 17mm nut is on the other side of that wall, and is what lives under that big plastic thing. You want the long 13mm banjo nut again. Again, stuff is going to come out. I used put a rag to soak up the drips. There is no way you can get hoses in there, it is going to be messy. Loosen that banjo nut till it is free to slide away from the hose.
Now take a 17mm and a 15mm, put the 17mm on the larger nut (same side as the banjo) and the 15mm on the other one. Remove the 17mm one and if you are using the Goodridge lines, you will need to save this (and the washer). You will not need to reuse these with the sector111 kit as they provide new ones.
Pull the line out of the hole and use the 15mm to loosen the other end from the caliper.

INSTALL
Take the new line and stick it in the caliper, turn away until it is snug. If you are using a Sector111 kit, use a 14mm to tighten the bolt.
Stick a washer on the other end of the hose (if you have the sector111 kit, if you have the Goodridge kit, you can ignore that).
Place the hose through the hole and use a washer and the 17mm nut until hand tight.
CHECK THE LINE NOW. Check to be sure it is a natural flow, not twisted or kinked. If it looks good go to the next step, if not, loosen the 17mm and let the hose unbind.
Using the 14mm wrench, hold the hose still and use the 17mm to tighten the nut so the hose is firmly in place.
Attach the banjo nut now to the hose and tighten snug with the 13mm wrench.
Use the clip to secure the brake line to the suspension (use the needle nose pliers to help pinch the clip around the hose) tighten with the 10mm wrench. Be sure you have full steering wheel movement.

(For the passenger side, removal and install is harder than it sounds. For the drivers side… well, it is just as hard as it sounds)

Do the same thing to the Drivers side front. And you are DONE! Almost… You need to bleed the brakes… and put your car back together. Don’t know how to bleed? Ask someone else, I am tired!

Total time to remove and assemble: 2.5 - 3 hours (not including the brake bleed). Break it up with a partner, and I bet you can do it in half the time (splitting wheels)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts