The Lotus Cars Community banner

Exige S stalling at idle repair.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to post a poll.

I've read the posts on this and have yet to find a consensus opinion on how to fix this.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It seemed as if it was a more serious problem in the first 1000 miles. My ECU was reflashed during the post-delivery service, and it was less of a problem, but would still happen occasionally. ECU was reflashed again for 7500 mile service... but after the engine warms up (coolant temp is displayed), it hasn't happened since.

I don't know whether to give credit to the ECU reflashes or not, but it's only happened once in the last 4 months, and not in the last two at all.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Put the dealer's feet into the fire. Perhaps you can invoke the lemon law or something.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Problem is that its one effect with multiple causes.

early elise or exige reflash it or play with the manual throttle adjustment on the 05s if its a stall at stopping.

vacuum leaks are the next most likely.

not letting the car warm up before heading out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine stalls about once every 2 months... seems to be getting better over time
+1
1500 still stalls sometime... especially when stopped on incline.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
+1
1500 still stalls sometime... especially when stopped on incline.
That must be some sort of hint to the problem... my driveway is on a very steep incline... and most of the stalls have happened as I've stopped my car (clutch disengaged) at the bottom of the driveway

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It still happens to me on occasion as well. I've had the ECU reflash done. It is pretty damn annoying when it happens.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the reflash done at Gossett in Memphis. They had a new 72 D and a California there as well as a silver S without the bumpers and most importantly 5 of the old style Lotus caps (green with the emblem on the front I bought them all).

Anyway, the reflash made the car much faster, as in I'm wondering if I got the 240 software. The stalling is still there but much less frequent. Now it occurs if I move up in line at a light after sitting there for awhile.

I have checked the motor for unattached lines and I've checked the manifold vaccum (normal at idle).

I think it is a software problem that Gotham or yet another updated reflash will fix.

ken

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just had mine stall for the first time, but I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't give the car 10 seconds of idle time before pulling out. (tho the car had already warmed up when I had been driving it a few minutes earlier)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I try to warm it up before i start driving. But the most obvious problem is that , it always stalls when i am almost home, usually right before i pull it into the garage. :panic:
Its like its got a mind of its own.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Never had a stalling problem with mine, which is another reason why it's a great buy!
why are you selling an 08, if i may ask? Are you not happy with the MPG? Or are you not happy with the fact that you get tons of whoring looks?
Maybe your over 6'2 and you should of bought an elise?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Dealer found a vacuum leak at my 1k service, which fixed my idle (and occasional stalling) and greatly improved cold start. My cold start is still a little wonky for the first 10 secs or so, but that seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
431 Posts
We've had maybe two stalls, both after getting home from a drive, in our inclined driveway after coming to a stop.

That must be some sort of hint to the problem... my driveway is on a very steep incline... and most of the stalls have happened as I've stopped my car (clutch disengaged) at the bottom of the driveway

1 - 20 of 28 Posts