The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where you ended up mounting the reservoirs. Did you put them where the picture you posted suggested?

I'm wondering if there is a way to mount mine so they can be accessed without removing the wheels.

-Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Just wondering where you ended up mounting the reservoirs. Did you put them where the picture you posted suggested? I'm wondering if there is a way to mount mine so they can be accessed without removing the wheels.<<<

I'm working with Ohlins to resolve some SCCA stock class details. So they are just sitting pretty right now. As is mounted on the cross bar, it looks like the reservoirs would be easy to reach without yanking a wheel. For me in autocross, the bump adjustment on the reservoir would likely be set once and then left alone. Since mostly rebound is the needed adjustment. That knob lives at the end of the damper which is mounted to the lower a-arms. Again no wheel yanking. Conceivably you could trunk mount the rear reservoirs and get the fronts under the triangular panels in front of the windshield.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Stan said:
I'm working with Ohlins to resolve some SCCA stock class details.
Is the SCCA stock class issue with the rear shocks specifically? Also, would the Lotus versions have the same SCCA issues and is there any difference between the Ohlin shocks you purchased and the Lotus equivalent?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i called Ohlins about the shocks and they said they were still working on the Fed Car shocks. I guess this what you are talking about.

I've decided to go with Penske triple adjustables. They should be here in a couple weeks.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Is the SCCA stock class issue with the rear shocks specifically? Also, would the Lotus versions have the same SCCA issues and is there any difference between the Ohlin shocks you purchased and the Lotus equivalent?<<<

Lotus does not design shocks specifically to meet SCCA rules and noone else does either unless that comes more or less automatically. We are dealing with a slightly strange set or rules but they are what they are. The Lotus PNs are the same I'm told. To develop something like this you have to buy stuff measure it go through various steps - that is going on now. I hope that they can come up with an SCCA version as well as a Non-SCCA version. The latter would likely have more convenient adjustments but would not necessarily function any differently. On the rear shock question, the Earlier Elise variations used shorter rear dampers than ours. They updated the rear suspension and subframe as part of the Toyota efforts. The Federal shocks are about 1 1/2 inches longer than prior versions, same travel though.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>i called Ohlins about the shocks and they said they were still working on the Fed Car shocks. I guess this what you are talking about. <<<

Exactly....I've gotten the ball rolling and they are working on it. Others have expressed interest too and they'll have an Elise in their facility later this month.

>>>I've decided to go with Penske triple adjustables. They should be here in a couple weeks.<<

Sounds good, they are nice! I'm limited to DAs, BTW so if I went Penske I'd wind up with one less adjustment and things like the perches would have to be the stock distance from the mounting eyes even if moving them does not offer any performance benefit but adds room for the adjusters. I can vary the overall lenght +/- an inch so that means that damper travel, preload and so forth can be nonstock. There are other requirements too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts