The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm getting a lot of PM's about the Stand 21 firesuits and gear which I've been researching and just tested at a track day. It's a bit premature for a group buy for any Stand21 gear, but the aim is to come up with a graphics package for Lotus drivers and perhaps specifically the Lotus Challenge Series as an option for the group buy. Buyers will be able to choose any style/model/color combo they want or choose from the Lotus or Lotus Challenge Series option if the LCS board approves.

Meanwhile, check out Stand 21's gear at
accueil -2 ,stand 21,Stand21 racewear for racing drivers, helmets, HANS, overalls, boots, gloves, underwear, casques, combinaisons, gants, bottines, sous-vêtements, heat stress, competition automobile

The Local Rep for Stand 21, Gildas Martin, is super helpful and informative
[email protected]

Their stuff is incredibly high quality relative to the competition (and comensurately costly - thus the group buy) and I am looking forward to having full protection that is actually a pleasure to wear. If any of you decide you want something specific then contact Gildas, the Stand 21 local rep, and get the details worked out. If you can wait for the group buy then you should see a significant savings and it would help us out as well.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am very interested!

When I googled "Lotus race suit", this was google's best match:

31y6z5LheWL__AA280_.jpg

Why is it that most LT threads end up, sooner or later, with a picture of a girl in a swim suit? :shrug:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any updates?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Why is it that most LT threads end up, sooner or later, with a picture of a girl in a swim suit? :shrug:
Six degrees of separation??

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke with Jim, President of Lotus Challenge Series (LCS), and he agrees that it would be good to have an LCS suit. It's taken awhile to get Jims response and for some reason Stand 21 did not come out to the last LCS event as agreed so I need to do a little more work to get things in order for the LCS suit. Once we have a design, Stand21 will price it and give us qty discounts. Then I'll start the group buy for LCS suits.

Meanwhile, anyone who DEFINITELY wants a Stand21 suit or any other gear they make should post here. The recommended suit is the ST3000 which is their top of the line without the air intake feature. The ST3000 Air Force model is cooler due to the air intake feature but looses its form within a couple years (according to the dealer) and is really for racers with enough bank or the requirement to get a new suit every year. The advise I've received is that the ST3000 is the most durable, breathable and fire resistant suit they make. It lists for about $2k depending on the design and graphics. All the suits will be custom fitted in either the approved LCS design spec or your own design. The choice is yours. Check out the gloves, undies and shoes too - super comfy and safe. And if you really want to splurge, the helmets are custom fit. I just took delivery of SPARCO's top of the line Spreedway shoe (the same one some F1 drivers use) and they PALE in comparison to Stand21's cheapest shoe from a comfort POV. The Stand 21 felt like socks while the Sparco's feel less conforming to my foot. They are both very nice, but for $320 for the Sparco shoes, I would have liked a better fit. I needed shoes fast so no time to wait for the Stand21s unfortunately.

One tidbit of info I found interesting - No Stand21 fire gear uses Carbonx. Apparently carbonx burns slower but transfers significantly more heat, therefore offering a lesser form of burn protection than nomex. Nomex burns down to carbon basically which stays intact on the body thus sheilding the skin from fire. CarbonX is already in that state so there is no significant transformation in a fire. One should be particularly concerned about feet since a lot of fires occur in overturned cars and the heat rises in the cockpit. The head is well protected by the helmet, but feet get the short shrift with their leather clad shoes - so nomex socks are very important to the fire suit set up. Just another public service announcement (and a reason to feel bad when I put my carbonx socks and balaclava on).....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Put me on the list for the group by when it comes through. The timing is actually good as I'm in the market for a new suit.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
2-11 colors would make a nice color combination (yellow, white, black).

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Are you implying that I'm short and gay :rolleyes:?

Didn't want to put such a large area in a dark color to soak up more heat from the sun. That's the only reason yellow trunk, silver extremities and dark accents.

It was fun switching all the colors around though...

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey RoadDad - looks great. Couple things - colors fade and it's HOT is So Cal. So I like the light colors. I was thinking light grey for most of it with stripes in Lotus colors. Being from LA I'm not homophobic like most of America so I don't have a problem with this design at all except the yellow will fade quickly. BTW white turns yellow in no time and looks dinjy. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, go to the Stand21 site and they have a sytem where you can try various colors and designs. Post it. RoadDad - do you have the web address? Please post. I'm on the run.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After about 100 different design combos, my favorite is 247-B, light grey chest, dark grey legs, yellow cuffs and shoulder darts. If someone can upload that to this thread that would be great or tell me how to do that. Just got to this webpage:

combi perso-2

and click on the design 247-B, then style ST3000, then the image will appear and you can click on the various garment panels to select the colors above.

My reasoning for the colors (in addition to aesthetics) are light reflective color for surfaces that see the most sun (cooler and less fade), dirt hiding color for pant legs , yellow for accent and lotus brand, the green is too reverent and old-fashioned IMO plus the LCS patch will have enough of it. I think an LCS patch over the heart area and on the upper back would be cool, maybe some other sponsors patch or embroidery and your name perhaps just below the front patch. If we can get some consensus on the suit design I can take the graphics to the next level. Thoughts?

I may be able to get the same group discount if we pick one design but select our own personal colors so we don't all look like we're on a team (even though I don't mind having a visual gestalt that support the LCS).

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
This right?

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks good and I think your reasoning is sound. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Sarebo. That's it. The yellow shoulder cuffs don't come across that strong in the small image posted above, but they are indeed yellow. The color choices they indicate at the website are called "Shiny". This is not the case for us (and I for one am glad) from what I understand since the fabric used in the ST3000 line is knit (stretchy) and not shiny which enables a more fitted cut and makes them very breathable. Nice stuff IMO. So let's sound in everyone. I'd like to get these ordered in the next two weeks.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts