The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
The AIM dash uses CAN bus to communicate with the ECU. You will not be able to use the AIM dash that is programmed to be used with the Lotus ECU. What you can do is buy the same generic dash from AIM and setup the screens that you want. Then you can either select one of the preset CAN bus interfaces for the ECU being used or setup and configure your own interface.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Is it not possible to reprogram the Lotus AiM dash to receive different CAN signals? Apologies for not doing more homework, but I thought there was some level of customization via AiM software. Perhaps someone with the Lotus AiM dash could chime in?

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I have not checked but my guess is that the ECU selection is not allowed to be changed since it would not know how to decode the CAN stream to match the dash info. I looked at getting one but found out that the second CAN bus is not present on the Lotus version. I was told to get the generic version and setup the display myself.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have an Ecumaster ECU it can transmit the stock Lotus CAN to have the dash work so this is what can be sent to the AIM PnP. The AIM PnP locks the canbus to only see stock Lotus one so it limits the channels you can view while if you had a normal AIM then it could receive the Ecumaster CANbus and show a lot more data. Same with the Haltech or any other can dash like the Ecumaster ADU, its set to recieve the Ecumaster CAN data so you'd have a lot more on offer than the stock Lotus CAN.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the OP and others for discussion, I think the Lotus specific ECU Master PnP ECU only works for the 2006+ DBW cars. For 2005 cars, I think a standard EMU Black is used with an adapter harness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
AIMis locket only for lotus stream. in my opinion, that's a massive limitation as especially on S2 there are very few channels transmitted over the can bus.
Yea figures...I suppose in the long run it'll be better to get the MXG/MXP/MXS. I'll have more channels and functions. I just liked the nice oem fit and look of the MX2E.

I would really like to fit a MXG, but I'll have to cut into my stock oem binnacle to somehow make it work. the MXP is very similar in size to the MX2E...but dash configuration looks a little different than mxs and mxg.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Yea figures...I suppose in the long run it'll be better to get the MXG/MXP/MXS. I'll have more channels and functions. I just liked the nice oem fit and look of the MX2E.

I would really like to fit a MXG, but I'll have to cut into my stock oem binnacle to somehow make it work. the MXP is very similar in size to the MX2E...but dash configuration looks a little different than mxs and mxg.
I was told if you buy the full AIM version of the Lotus dash, it will fit in the same binnacle. Now you have all flexibility and can get very close to making it work like the Lotus dash.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I was told if you buy the full AIM version of the Lotus dash, it will fit in the same binnacle. Now you have all flexibility and can get very close to making it work like the Lotus dash.

Later,
Eldon
Do you know which is the full AiM version? The mxp seems closest in size. Although shaped a little different and doesn't seem to have outputs for the buttons that are integrated into the binnacle? It's unfortunate that they can't do some kind of firmware override.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
405 Posts
Do you know which is the full AiM version? The mxp seems closest in size. Although shaped a little different and doesn't seem to have outputs for the buttons that are integrated into the binnacle? It's unfortunate that they can't do some kind of firmware override.
right even for like an "upgrade fee" to get the better firmware with more capability, unless some of the guts are changed too to save cost

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I believe this is the same dash: AiM MXP Strada

Also, the buttons are just digital inputs that can be run to the dash and perform the same functions. You can even make them do different things if you want.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I believe this is the same dash: AiM MXP Strada

Also, the buttons are just digital inputs that can be run to the dash and perform the same functions. You can even make them do different things if you want.

Later,
Eldon
Yea that's the closest in size, I think it should fit. I had a call into them earlier today. And they're going to find out for me if they can sell me their custom binnacle separately and if the mxp fits inside of it. Also if the buttons on the binnacle can be made to work with the mxp. Alternatively I might look into making the MXG work...I can take my spare oem binnacle and make cut-outs where it would protrude, and make cut-outs for where the buttons are. I'm sure the MXS fits...there's a thread somewhere on here with an install...but the 5" screen is a bit small for my liking.

Also just a note, the "Strada" refers to a street version. So it can display data but it doesn't actually log the data. So it's over $1k cheaper.

MXP

Font Drawing Auto part Engineering Parallel

MX2E
Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Auto part

MXG

Line Font Technology Circle Auto part

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
The ECUMaster software is free.. I would download it and the AIM software/manual do a quick config to ensure you won't have any obvious issues if you got the ECUMaster route.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts