The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
The AIM dash uses CAN bus to communicate with the ECU. You will not be able to use the AIM dash that is programmed to be used with the Lotus ECU. What you can do is buy the same generic dash from AIM and setup the screens that you want. Then you can either select one of the preset CAN bus interfaces for the ECU being used or setup and configure your own interface.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I have not checked but my guess is that the ECU selection is not allowed to be changed since it would not know how to decode the CAN stream to match the dash info. I looked at getting one but found out that the second CAN bus is not present on the Lotus version. I was told to get the generic version and setup the display myself.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Yea figures...I suppose in the long run it'll be better to get the MXG/MXP/MXS. I'll have more channels and functions. I just liked the nice oem fit and look of the MX2E.

I would really like to fit a MXG, but I'll have to cut into my stock oem binnacle to somehow make it work. the MXP is very similar in size to the MX2E...but dash configuration looks a little different than mxs and mxg.
I was told if you buy the full AIM version of the Lotus dash, it will fit in the same binnacle. Now you have all flexibility and can get very close to making it work like the Lotus dash.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Do you know which is the full AiM version? The mxp seems closest in size. Although shaped a little different and doesn't seem to have outputs for the buttons that are integrated into the binnacle? It's unfortunate that they can't do some kind of firmware override.
I believe this is the same dash: AiM MXP Strada

Also, the buttons are just digital inputs that can be run to the dash and perform the same functions. You can even make them do different things if you want.

Later,
Eldon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts