The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Anyone know anything about Stand alone Engine Management? Are they reliable/durable? Do they screw up the engine? Do they suck up a lot of gas? Thanks.
I've got about 3-4k miles on my Hydra with no issues. In my opinion there can be quite a bit of tuning involved but if done correctly there really is no real worry about harming the engine. It depends on the exact one but allot of them even have features to cut off the ignition in an over boost scenario or under excessive knock. Again it's all your work to set this up properly and if you paying someone that can get pricy but again done correctly I don't see an issue.

·
Registered
933 Posts
on the lotus engine, it is a big tendency to use EFI from DRS. With this system, the seller will be probably able to supply right from the box an adequate program for your set-up, and supply a program for your future tune.

going with something where you are alone could be a bad decision.

screw-up the engine? since you are able to do anything, YOU can screw up. The ECU is just doing what you are asking.

Fuel? Depends of your set-up, but they will never as good as OEM, my guess.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
There's two pretty comprehensive threads about the EFI system for the Lotus. Works just fine. Most would only conider an aftermarket EMS if they're adding FI or build something radical NA...

As Elise/Europa said, they'll just do what you tell them to do...

Regards,

Phil

·
Registered
750 Posts
as already mentioned here, and on other threads, the main advantage you will gain by using the EFI system is convenience.

we package the systems w/ base maps for your engine, sensors calibrated, and the firmware is pre-configured as well. no modifications to existing sensors or triggers on your engine, and very easy to revert to stock if needed.

it's about as easy as it can possibly get (relative to what it is). with other systems you are basically starting from scratch.

there is also a growing support network where ideas and maps can all be shared for the EFI powered cars on these forums.

use this link to read more about the system features and contact our dealers Dynamic Racing Solutions - Complete ECU Control for the Lotus Elise and Exige S

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
They all vary in features and abilities, the best advice i could give is use the one that the person doing the tuning or work understands the best (so long as it has the base feature set).

beyond a few features here and there, they are all basically the same, its the software that makes the biggest differences, so long as the base hardware can actually run the engine.

Personally I'd avoid piggybacks though, though some ecu's
are crossovers between standalone and piggyback in that they can perform both functions.

The motecs have the best software and support i think, and since i write tuning and engine management software for standalone, piggybacks and OEM ecu's, i think i've got a good handle on it. Of course motec spent millions developing their stuff, so i don't feel too bad about it.

vvtli control, decent sized maps, lots of configurable maps, basically getting as close to the oem ecu as possible.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
standalone won't pass emissions in Kalifornia.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
No standalone I'm aware of will legally pass anywhere in the USA (unless its on a car thats exempt from emissions/clean air act/obdii ) Most of them don't have the software to run the OBDII or properly pass the emissions standards (not the 'sniffer' test)

Its a federal law, not a state one.

Of course just as in CA you can fanagle your way around it , but its not legal.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
No standalone I'm aware of will legally pass anywhere in the USA (unless its on a car thats exempt from emissions/clean air act/obdii ) Most of them don't have the software to run the OBDII or properly pass the emissions standards (not the 'sniffer' test)

Its a federal law, not a state one.

Of course just as in CA you can fanagle your way around it , but its not legal.
I am confused...
They do not pass...:
1) Just because hey are stand-alone?
2) Because they produce more emissions?

·
Registered
202 Posts
So would they them be legal on cars that do not use OBD-II...
My '83 VW GTI uses standalone (megasquirt) and passes emissions. Ironically it also has a 1.8 liter supercharged engine however it puts down a bit more power than my '09 Elise SC.

Here in TN, emissions tests for pre-OBDII cars are just a visual check for a cat and then a tailpipe test for hydrocarbons and other pollutants so as long as the engine burns clean, you are OK. Unfortunately, I believe all US street legal Elise/Exige came as OBDII so you may run into issues unless you can get creative since they would be looking for their computer to talk to yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts