The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put 1000km on the Evora and I just now engaged Sport mode the first time. I'm not sure what I expected. I've read about what it entails (higher redline, open valve, etc) but that's all very dry. I was actually shocked at how different the car feels in Sport mode. It is somehow a subtle difference and yet there is nothing subtle about it all at the same contradictory time.

So my question is this (for those who have installed the Radium CAI): how does that upgrade compare to the standard mode --> Sport mode transformation? Is it a similar jump? More dramatic? Maybe more horsepower, but the other subtle changes in sport mode aren't replicated?

I brought the CAI back to Dubai, but I'm not planning on installing it until first service and/or getting the service situation sorted out in general.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
BJBJ,

While the extra 20+ HP you'll get out of the CAI is noticeable, it's no where near as significant at lower RPMs as the Sport button was in affecting the responsiveness of the throttle.

I'd say the biggest impact it has had for me was psychological. Sound plays an immense role in a person's perception of power.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the throttle response is huge..it makes Heel toeing/revv matching a much more precise art

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
With and without sport is a different car -

The CAI adds a nice little punch all around as well as a sound that just makes you want more!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't wait to install the CAI, but yeah the difference in throttle response in sport mode is mind boggling.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Not only does the Sport button affect the redline limit and intake airflow, it directly controls throttle response since our cars are drive-by-wire. If its any indication, I believe the latter points to driver behavior, or more accurately, pedal-behavior, as the single greatest influence in fuel economy. They know we all have lead feet and could never achieve the manufacturer's max fuel economy rates on our own :)

That's what the sport button really is. Marketing. It's actually an ECO button with the light indicator reversed.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
That's what the sport button really is. Marketing. It's actually an ECO button with the light indicator reversed
Love itrotfl

·
Registered
156 Posts
One thing to remember is engaging the sports mode also disables the understeere correction in the stability program. Not a huge issue but can catch you off guard especially in wet weather. The problem can be compounded by having a little more aggressive throttle response making you take that turn just a bit faster than you otherwise would.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
it definitely lessens the traction control a bit..I can get a decent chunk of wheel spin and significant slip angle with it on. Which is great :)

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
One thing to remember is engaging the sports mode also disables the understeere correction in the stability program. Not a huge issue but can catch you off guard especially in wet weather. The problem can be compounded by having a little more aggressive throttle response making you take that turn just a bit faster than you otherwise would.
It doesnt disable dynamic (DPM) control, what it disables is throttle letup and increases DPM allowable slip angles. I drove with and without Sport and then with and without DPM on the Hethel test track plus on their dry and wet skid pad, while handling is different, very different with DPM off it is not totally nanny free; for that you need to Exiges V6 Cup with an off position.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It doesnt disable dynamic (DPM) control, what is disables is throttle letup and increases DPM allowable slip angles. I drove with and without Sport and then with and without DPM on the Hetel test track plus on their dry and wet skid pad, while handling is different, very different with DPM off it is not totally nanny free; for that you need to Exiges V6 Cup with an off position.
That is pretty much what I said it allows higher slip angles thus limiting its ability to correct understeer and having it function more like a traditional DSP by limiting oversteer. You can completely disable the DPM in the evora just hold the button in for 5 sec and it's all up to you the only nanny contol left is the ABS

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
That's what the Traction control button is for. To shut it off!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts