The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was surprised to find this instruction card in Symbolic's Elise for the clearbra:

No clay bar, no hard-compound wax, and 36" limit for pressure washing.

Here's another picture of the watermark in the corner. It's probably embossed with a squeeze-press stamp or maybe a hot stamp. You have to be looking for it to find it at all, and taking a picture of it is even harder. It's much more subtle than it looks here, and you have to catch the light/shadow on it to show.

And last, this is that Touring Pack soundproofing in the engine compartment. See that black and white flocked shell? Yeah. CORRECTION: This isn't the touring pack soundproofing. See Arno's post below

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Groudloop...

Is this your car or the demo at Symbolic? Did you order the touring pack? If not, do you think it would be easy to install my own sound deadening material? I really don't want the electric windows, insulated soft top (no top on in SoCal) or an upgraded POS stereo. However, I would like a little insulation from the motor 3 inches behind me right ear...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ground Loop said:
And last, this is that Touring Pack soundproofing in the engine compartment. See that black and white flocked shell? Yeah.
That's just the regular heat/sound insulation cover found on any S2 Elise.

AFAIK is the additional sound deadening of the firewall mostly inside the car under the cover/speaker panel. For instance you'll find huge lumps of sound proofing material behind/under the speakers.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Ground Loop said:
No clay bar, no hard-compound wax, and 36" limit for pressure washing.
Would this be a no to that Zaino stuff that everybody has been raving about? I was almost convinced to try it.

I find a clay bar very effective to clean off all kinds of "stuff" from the car that's almost impossible to remove otherwise. That's a big downside to the clear bra if I can't use it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Would this be a no to that Zaino stuff that everybody has been raving about? I was almost convinced to try it. <<<

I think they are referring to the hard conventional waxes such as collinite. Those are hard to rub in and then really hard to rub off. I've never actually come across them, they are pretty old school. Zaino should be fine...it's all just 3M material anyway so Sal Zaino can tell you what's up too. Or call/write 3M.

>>I find a clay bar very effective to clean off all kinds of "stuff" from the car that's almost impossible to remove otherwise. That's a big downside to the clear bra if I can't use it.<<

But clay can be used on the paint itself. Cleaning the surface of the film can be done without clay. I suspect they are concerned about catching an edge during the clay rubbing process. If so, then you may be able to clay if you stay away from the edges. But confirm that with 3M. The film has a flexible clear coat on it that sounds comparable to paint clear coat, but it's not the same stuff.

Stan

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the correction Arno. It was an incorrect assumption on my part.

As for Zaino, I can't imagine why that wouldn't be allowed -- it's very mild and unabrasive.

The clay bar probably isn't needed on the film, since it removes grit that's embedded in the clearcoat. I'm curious to see how much 'grunge' the film collects compared to paint.. stuff that doesn't just rinse or wash off.

Last, it's not my car -- it's the demo at Symbolic Motors La Jolla from Sunday. It's optioned just like my car, though.

And I agree that the soundproofing was really the only thing I wanted from the Touring Pack. MP3 CD Player was a bonus too. The rest they could keep. Especially the extra carpet -- I hope it comes out easily and has beautiful metal underneath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts