The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made sure the installer of the local shop who was to install the new Star Shield piece on my car yesterday visually inspect my car with me before he began the work. There was not one flaw on the car, NOT ONE, I pointed out to him, and any slip ups resulting in damage would not be tolerated.

The a**wipes opened my passenger door and scraped a corner. Through the paint. I am beyond livid.

Someone's gonna get my full wrath when I return tomorrow morning to have the correct second piece installed (Start Shield sent the wrong piece).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is on top of the warranty claim taking nearly four months to process between the dealer forgetting about it and the Star Shield rep sitting on my field for over three weeks. The original install on my car was awful. Now this.

God, I am pissed. It's through the paint. Not big, but through the paint on the door's edge, where Lotus should have insisted on there being (what else?) Star Shield.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think he took your comment that no slip ups would be tolerated as a challenge.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so slowly recap what happened again. is it the fault of LOTUS, the garage or the star shield rep?
Garage's fault entirely. Of course, if it weren't for the fact that the original Star Shield installation was faulty, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Touch up paint = solution.

·
Registered
57 Posts
HMM, thats happened to me before. A garage put a 40 cm on my roadster. Only thing was the owner played for my soccer club so I did could kick up a fuss, when he pretended he knew nothing about it. But its very very annoying. I understand.

I need to get my scratched car fully repainted as soon as my Evora arrives in Jan.

I feel your pain

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
My paranoia usually has me taking both photos (and a lot of them) and video of my car in my driveway before I bring it to the shop for work. Of course, you have to remember to carefully go around the car when you are taking it home or they will say you did any damage you later point out.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not only was the original product installation faulty; not only did it take four freaking months to process my measly claim; not only did the vendor send the wrong material to the installer, necessitating a return visit (tomorrow); not only did I take extra steps to caution the installer about being careful not to damage my perfect car; but the installer proceeded to do just that.

Sorry, guys, this thread has as much to do with my overall frustration with this fiasco as anything else. I apologize for venting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know how you delivered that message about what would be tolerated, but in the wrong mind, that could be taken the wrong way. I hope this wasn't the case.

Wish I could buy you a beer man.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed. It sounds unnecessary to include the puffery. Take your car to someone you trust and then trust them to do their jobs. It is, after all, their job.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed. It sounds unnecessary to include the puffery. Take your car to someone you trust and then trust them to do their jobs. It is, after all, their job.
Wrong. I didn't choose the shop, Star Shield did. I had no say so in the matter. I did, however, want to make it abundantly clear up front that I was a fussy owner to ensure extra care was taken in handling my car. It didn't happen and for that reason I was extra frustrated (think about the irony: having my paint finish marred in the act of having protectant film installed). The door damage, but an inch from the rear quarter panel area that was replaced, in all likelihood occurred during removal of the flawed installation. It was surely an accident, but it happened, the installer knew it happened, and yet no one came forward to admit it. That was frustrating, too.

I've since gotten an estimate for repairs and met with the shop owner, who agreed to pay for it. Issue resolved.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We all have our things, I put my car in a field, and by the 3rd time through a field I didn't much care if the star shield helped. I bought mine to drive, not look at.

But I want the alignment done right. But I could not imagine giving them attitude. I might as well take a hammer to it myself.

But in all honesty, when you gave them that attitude the shop should of refused to do the work

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah. You have to consider the way that you are coming off to these people. There's no reason you can't be polite and say something like "this car is my baby, please take care of it!" That's going to come across much better than "it won't be tolerated".

It's just a car, in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I feel your frustration! These are NOT just cars, but our babies. I hope the job gets done right. If it shows up on carfax I would hit them for diminished value!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts