The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems with their factory-installed Star Shield - bubbling, peeling, dulling, while the Evora was still under warranty?

Were repairs performed under warranty by your dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had it bubble and fade to a yellow(ish) tint on my Evora. They replaced a few panels, but it took forever to get them to replace it. My Lotus dealer had to contact starshield directly to handle it

I am opting to get a better clear bra this summer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I believe all clear bras will eventually yellow, as has been my experience with 3M products on multiple vehicles. The more exposure to UV, the quicker? Never had bubbling on any clear bra applications.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them take photos to send to SS. Once received, SS will send the film that needs replacing to the dealer and either send one of their installers or someone that sub-contracts with them. Star Shield has a 5 year warranty from the time the car is first sold new.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just a suggestion.......
In the past, I have kept the "scraps" from the computerized cutouts: they allow me to "cut and paste" applications to parts of the car that may get scuffed, and not be included in the original shield package. Easy to do and free..........(except for the cold beer afterwards in self congratulation!)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not sure if it's the material or the curves of the car, but I've now had issues over the initial installation as well as the warranty one. Bubbles. Star Shield rep was a little slow in responding to the warranty claim, but followup was very good.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you simply need to learn to live with the imperfections. That is, if you believe in the concept. I wouldn't consider having a car like this without some sort of clear bra protection.

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Mine has been gone for 2 yrs now and front paint is finally losing the damn airbubble look. Its not as great for paint as you think. My 8 yr old Elise without it was still mint! Ask the new owner!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have multiple cars with the Xpel product on them for at least three years with none of the problems I am seeing on my Evora S with the Star Shield. Peeling around the edges is the biggest problem followed by bumps in the film. When the edges peel they fill up with dirt. Showed it to a dealer and was told to contact Star Shield. He was not sure if they would fix it. I may just have the Star Shield taken off and replace it with Xpel and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I've never had any problems with the StarShield, but the XPel on my Boxster has had issues with peeling up in multiple places around the edges. I can't say that XPel is any better than StarShield.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3M has had these complaints (yellowing) for years. I and many Corvette owners as well as many exotic cars used Venture Shield, it forms better and never yellows. Had it installed on my Z06 and it was perfect for many years. One major factor with any clear film is how good the installers are, that can make a big difference in how many problems you'll have down the road, top notch installer will tell you this is what they have to deal with all the time (lousy installations). My Evora isn't having any problems with the Star Shield so far but if it does after the warranty is off, I'll replace it with VS. Success!

:up:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think it's the product. I never had air bubble issues with any of the other clear bra products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts