The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a major detailing on my car today, it has 120 miles and I wanted to get several coats of polymer sealent glaze on it. As I detailed the car I noticed a number of flaws in the Star Shield. On the front there is a hair trapped under the Star Shiled. On the passenger side there are numerous bubbles on the flat surface the door sits over. On the rear bumper area the shield has lost adhesion on a curved area and seperated from the body.
All in all the installation job is awful! I have had installations on two previous cars with no issues, whoever did my Elise was a rookie, drunk, or didn't give a hoot. I have never seen such poor work. Horrible quality for something that cost $950, I had my M5 done for less than half of that and the quality is terrific.
I would really consider having the work done by an aftermarket company who cares about quality rather than Star Shield!
Everything about the car is fine but the Star Shield is a real disappointment!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It's under warranty. They may redo it rather than have a dissatisfied customer.
It's definitely worth checking into.

They aren't all done poorly.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The demo car of my dealer also had to be redone. I hope they figure out how to install it properly before my car arrives.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
James A said:
I started a major detailing on my car today, it has 120 miles and I wanted to get several coats of polymer sealent glaze on it. As I detailed the car I noticed a number of flaws in the Star Shield. On the front there is a hair trapped under the Star Shiled. On the passenger side there are numerous bubbles on the flat surface the door sits over. On the rear bumper area the shield has lost adhesion on a curved area and seperated from the body.
All in all the installation job is awful! I have had installations on two previous cars with no issues, whoever did my Elise was a rookie, drunk, or didn't give a hoot. I have never seen such poor work. Horrible quality for something that cost $950, I had my M5 done for less than half of that and the quality is terrific.
I would really consider having the work done by an aftermarket company who cares about quality rather than Star Shield!
Everything about the car is fine but the Star Shield is a real disappointment!
:no: I can't believe with the # of cars they are doing that they hav'nt gotten it down to a science by now:huh:

·
Registered
153 Posts
James A said:
Horrible quality for something that cost $950, I had my M5 done for less than half of that and the quality is terrific.
i think it's a rip off! i also had my M coupe wrapped when clear-bra's were a new thing and it was only $500. a professional is going to custom wrap my elise with almost double the coverage without showing the edges of the clear bra by completely wrapping the whole panel instead of using cut-outs. if i could get to the clamshell, he would wrap the 3m underneath the lotus emblem on the hood. he could wrap your whole car if you wanted. all for $990, with no tax even! $5 less than lotus and a WAAY better job! i'll post pictures when i get back from the roadtrip.

scott

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
i have seen several cars with starshield and as i have stated before the installs are terrible. they don't seem to wash the cars well because i see dirt trapped underneath and i also see many bubbles. you'd have better luck DYI or getting someone local to do it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a very complicated install and I would not try it myself. But given the number of cars they are doing I would think the job would be flawless. I will be making a warranty claim it looks like three of the panels will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
538 Posts
huggy bear said:
i have seen several cars with starshield and as i have stated before the installs are terrible. they don't seem to wash the cars well because i see dirt trapped underneath and i also see many bubbles. you'd have better luck DYI or getting someone local to do it.
We had someone local do it and we're glad we went that route. We made sure the car was spotless beforehand and were there during the whole install. It is more complicated than with many cars, and I doubt I'd want to undertake the install myself.

Ellen

(Michael posted a number of pictures from the install in the thread here.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was in FL looking at my friends, his had a 'wavy' look in several places??? Not sure how to describe it, not really orange peel, more like orange waves???? It did feel smooth to the touch though... I have a 3M bra on my Z06 - dealer installed - and it looks as good as the day I picked the car up. The Star Shield is the same stuff, so I don't know why my friends looks different. As for the part that is falling off, I would have the dealer fix it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I still have hundreds of small stains in my starshield from roadgrime. My dealer took photos and is submitting a warranty claim. I haven't heard yet. It has been a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
huggy bear said:
I had Star Shield installed on my old M3. I tried doing it myself the first time and it is EXTREMELY difficult, now I understand why they told me to get it done professionally by an authorized Star Shield dealer the first time. I can imagine how hard it would be installing the kit on my Lotus with all its sexy curves rather than my M3. Anyway I had it done professionally by an authorized Star Shield dealer and it came out beautiful. During my research of Star Shield products I have found that some cars are done up very clean and some very poorly. The ones being poor were mostly coming from untrained individuals. I guess it all depends on who's installing it, I would recommend getting it done by someone who has had experience doing it or an authorized Star Shield dealer.

* On another note - I also know that Star Shield offers a 5 year warranty on their film - something that is VOIDED f the install is done by yourself

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Good news on the warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SCCCLEARBRA - IVE SEEN DIFFERENT - I FOR ONE HAD STAR SHIELD ON MY OLD M3 - A COUPLE OF ACQUAINTANCES HAD XPEL AND ROCKBLOCKER KITS ON THEIR VEHICLES. AND STAR SHIELD SEEMS TO HAVE THE BETTER PATTERN IN ALL THE APPLICATIONS IVE SEEN.

IVE NOTICED THE XPEL PATTERNS DO NOT WRAP ALL THE WAY AROUND THE EDGES LEAVING THE FILM MORE VISIBLE (ESPECIALLY ON A DARK COLORED CAR) AND DIRT GETS STUCK TO THE EDGES AND ARE VISIBLE.

ALSO THE XPEL PATTERNS ARENT AS "SHAPELY" AS STAR SHIELDS PATTERNS

NOW I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE ELISE KITS BECAUSE I HAVENT PERSONALLY SEEN AN XPEL KIT ON THEM - CAN U TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE IN PATTERNS BETWEEN THE 2? MAYBE SOME PROS AND CONS?

THANKS

·
Registered
687 Posts
JDM DRIVEN said:
SCCCLEARBRA - IVE SEEN DIFFERENT - I FOR ONE HAD STAR SHIELD ON MY OLD M3 - A COUPLE OF ACQUAINTANCES HAD XPEL AND ROCKBLOCKER KITS ON THEIR VEHICLES. AND STAR SHIELD SEEMS TO HAVE THE BETTER PATTERN IN ALL THE APPLICATIONS IVE SEEN.

IVE NOTICED THE XPEL PATTERNS DO NOT WRAP ALL THE WAY AROUND THE EDGES LEAVING THE FILM MORE VISIBLE (ESPECIALLY ON A DARK COLORED CAR) AND DIRT GETS STUCK TO THE EDGES AND ARE VISIBLE.

ALSO THE XPEL PATTERNS ARENT AS "SHAPELY" AS STAR SHIELDS PATTERNS

NOW I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE ELISE KITS BECAUSE I HAVENT PERSONALLY SEEN AN XPEL KIT ON THEM - CAN U TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE IN PATTERNS BETWEEN THE 2? MAYBE SOME PROS AND CONS?

THANKS
Ryan, it seems your CAPS LOCK key became stuck after you typed your name. Perhaps you need a new keyboard. You can get them for about $10 nowadays. :)

The Starshield on my Elise does not wrap around all of the edges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dan said:
Ryan, it seems your CAPS LOCK key became stuck after you typed your name. Perhaps you need a new keyboard. You can get them for about $10 nowadays. :)

The Starshield on my Elise does not wrap around all of the edges.
Hello

Starshield does cover more of your vehicle on most cases. It does usualy wrap around the edges while xpel usualy goes to the very edge living about 1/8 of an inch from each edge. This is to make installation easier which in turn will allow for a better appearance. Also the rockblocker kits are the same as XPEL. They use the XPEL patterns. One thing is for sure. If you go on any of these forums and ask which kits will give the best results then you will get your answer. I personaly use xpel patterns and I also offer other patterns for the elise that will wrap around the edges. But I like Xpel even though it costs me more to produce them.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
scclearbra said:
xpel usualy goes to the very edge living about 1/8 of an inch from each edge.
Only if you don't have it installed correctly.... The bra on my Z06 goes right up to the edge, maybe a 32nd or less... But mine was done by the dealer.

scclearbra said:
Also the rockblocker kits are the same as XPEL. They use the XPEL patterns.
Geez if you call youself a vendor get your facts together. rockblocker and stongard are the same company...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i haven't looked too terribly closely but my Star Shield seems to be done well. That being said, I would never had ordered it but it was on the car so i had no choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
offroadr35 said:
I would never had ordered it but it was on the car so i had no choice.
You will appreciate it in the long run.
I have replaced the pieces behind the rear wheels twice so far, if I didn't have I am sure there would not be any paint left there....

·
Registered
389 Posts
I find that my Star Shield is very difficult to wash. My problem area is on the section below the door, especially just aft of the door, in front of the rear wheel.

How do you get that clean???

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm wondering about that too. But I'm also getting alot of rock chips back there that the star shield just can't stop.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts