The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i searched, and i assumed i'd find a bunch of info on this. but i didnt, so either my computer isnt working right, or i've messed up.

anyway, can someone please tell me what exactly the Star Shield does for you? assume it keeps bugs, dirt, road grime, etc, off the car in certain places? and does the junk come right off the Star Shield?

thanks for any help,

Mike

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
the bugs, dirt, road grime, etc just get on the starshield instead of the paint, it doesn't keep it off the car.

it protects the paint from rocks and other hard debris that will damage the paint

It is strategically placed (some will argue it is missing some spots) for spots that are most likely going to get hit by rocks. Lower front of the car, rocker panels, mirrors, behind rear wheels...

·
Registered
263 Posts
it protects you from space debris when leaving the earth's atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Don't listen to these fruitcakes ******#1.

The Star Shield serves 2 purposes. One of them is an invisible weight. It helps your Lotus stay planted on the ground by adding additional weight to the front end. Since the front end is so light, the Star Shield also protects the car from rolling in strong winds.

My Star Shield was recently deemed too light because my front end kept catching air while going over bumps, and so Lotus had to replace it.

The second use for the Star Shield is to prevent the car from being detected by police radar and lasers. Hence the name Star Shield, as it deflects these beams towards the stars. I wanted to cover my entire car with it, but it's illegal.

I'm sure it's not illegal in some parts of the country, maybe you'll get lucky ******#1. I wish it was legal here.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
heeee'sssss baaacccckkkkk

Mr. ******

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
these responses are hilarious...rotfl

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
it is a paint protection film, and no different than ony other. except the the elise/exige is more suspecptable to road wear than your typical car. so paint protection film is highly reccomend unless you like stone chips and repaints.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hey, I'm not sure why you're complaining Chapster5... the Star Shield is an option listed on the Lotus website, so I thought it was pretty funny to see a post about it here.

You really need to lower your expectations.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My scratched up Starshield on my rocker panels looks no better than scratched up paint. And I just got a quote to replace just the nose and rocker panel sections, $800.

I'm not sure touching up the paint would be a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My scratched up Starshield on my rocker panels looks no better than scratched up paint. And I just got a quote to replace just the nose and rocker panel sections, $800.

I'm not sure touching up the paint would be a lot more expensive.
That quote is far too high.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Scottie told me that star shield protected us from stars while at warp speed.

The star shield will cleanup with rubbing compound and polishing compound. I just did mine tonight using a Mothers foam ball. They will never come back to original but they look fairly good. The rocker/front of rear wheel section takes the most beating. Lamin-X has a replacement for this section for $140 at this link Lotus Headlight Covers, Clear Bras, and Tail Light Covers

·
Registered
682 Posts
The star shield protects the car from solar radiation in strategic locations. It's purpose on the roof of the car is a little different: the shield keeps airborne particles from collecting on the solar panels, causing the battery not to charge (the alternator only half charges it).

An interesting piece of trivia:
Metallic paint coats are not applied to the roof of the car, instead alternate paints are used to allow some light to pass through to the solar cells.

Lotus also recommends that you do not remove your factory hard top from the Exige, because the more powerful engine eats more electrics.

XD

Seriously, how hard is that to figure out?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The star shield protects the car from solar radiation in strategic locations. It's purpose on the roof of the car is a little different: the shield keeps airborne particles from collecting on the solar panels, causing the battery not to charge (the alternator only half charges it).

An interesting piece of trivia:
Metallic paint coats are not applied to the roof of the car, instead alternate paints are used to allow some light to pass through to the solar cells.

Lotus also recommends that you do not remove your factory hard top from the Exige, because the more powerful engine eats more electrics.

XD

:up:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Make sure you raise the starshield if you get on some gravely roads or are going through a bad neighborhood. The shield switch is under the steering wheel. If you're driving around under these circumstances the shield does you know good when it's down!

·
Registered
263 Posts

XD

i almost spit out my coffee reading that :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts