The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to search for "something other than X". Could someone please direct me to any threads concerning Starshield alternatives. No, not painter's tape. Interested in a commercially available, very similar material. Starshield material is over $800 direct from Lotus, before install.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Reach out to SweetDaddyD. He carries a good, viable alternative I've heard, as well.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You can try Venture Shield. It won't yellow like Star Shield and lasts longer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
All these clear protective films are the same 3M film. They are marketed under the name of the company that cuts and markets the film for particular applications. It's all the same film and will behave in the environment same whether its Starshield, Invecta or any other name.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All these clear protective films are the same 3M film. They are marketed under the name of the company that cuts and markets the film for particular applications. It's all the same film and will behave in the environment same whether its Starshield, Invecta or any other name.
Uh, you on something? There are several makers of these urethane films...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Been working on automating the ordering of some of my more common items. If you follow this link it will take you to my page where I have all the PPF kits for sale.
There is more coverage than what is offered from the factory and according to my testing the products I use meet or exceed the quality of OEM.

Chuforia graffix

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Here is the best primer I've found on clear film products. Great explanation of who makes the stuff and who cuts the stuff. It also discusses the importance of clear coat and maintenance.

Installation - 3M Clear Bra Tampa, FL - (813) 505-3868
It's meh. Some truth and some marketing turned in their favor, which I won't hold against anyway. Don't take it word for word as it's not all true (such as not all the manufactures listed actually produce their own film, some buy a lower quality film from the others listed and re-market it) Generally from a consumer point of view 95% of it is a fair read, and I agree with the majority of it.

If anyone has clear bra questions and is interested in making a purchase feel free to contact me and I'll get them clarified. Please keep my time in mind though. (I'm talking to you- guy who has been jerking me around for a bit over 2 months now and I know you are never going to place that order you talk about once in a while,)

I'd never put a non-topcoated film on any car (and don't sell it anyway) so stay away from the generics (invisishield, armorfend, etc etc etc etc), and I'll never put 3M on a black or white car. (too much color on white, too much orange peel on black)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
This is incredibly wrong.

Different thicknesses, coatings, strengths, textures, properties, etc.
Yes 3M makes a lot of film for other companies, and no just cause they make it doesn't mean it's the same. (A Lexus SUV and Toyota Yaris aren't the same just because the same company makes them) Some they make entirely, some they just make the film and the other company puts the adhesive and liner on it. Some are thin, some are thick, some stretch, some don't, some are topcoated, others you'll be buffing every few months, some are practically invisible and some look awful...........

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It's meh. Some truth and some marketing turned in their favor, which I won't hold against anyway. Don't take it word for word as it's not all true (such as not all the manufactures listed actually produce their own film, some buy a lower quality film from the others listed and re-market it) Generally from a consumer point of view 95% of it is a fair read, and I agree with the majority of it.

If anyone has clear bra questions and is interested in making a purchase feel free to contact me and I'll get them clarified. Please keep my time in mind though. (I'm talking to you- guy who has been jerking me around for a bit over 2 months now and I know you are never going to place that order you talk about once in a while,)

I'd never put a non-topcoated film on any car (and don't sell it anyway) so stay away from the generics (invisishield, armorfend, etc etc etc etc), and I'll never put 3M on a black or white car. (too much color on white, too much orange peel on black)
I don't think your comment is out of line or anything, but just as a bit of a counterpoint I can vouch for that guy. He uses what he says and does a great job - he did my Elise twice (originally and after my ex-wife backed into it) and he did my BMW. And, Keith, I know your work is good, too. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there such a thing as color matched starshield/film? Basically an opaque film matched to your paint, or at least close to it. I did a search but didn't find anything.
Wondering if that would solve the yellowing problem associated with some of the clear films.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I replaced mine with Clearshield a couple months ago and all the Lotus guys I've shown it to thinks its superior to the OEM product. Its almost impossible to see it, made the car look brand new. I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

Not hard to find. I'm extremely pleased

·
Registered
207 Posts
How much of the front does the star shield cover? My elise (I bought used) came with a package of Venture Shield, never opened. It seems to cover the entire front clam all the way above the radiator vents. The rock chips indicate that the front is really the section at risk; maybe I don't have to put on the upper sections?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Is there such a thing as color matched starshield/film? Basically an opaque film matched to your paint, or at least close to it. I did a search but didn't find anything.
Wondering if that would solve the yellowing problem associated with some of the clear films.
No. Just use good film. And it's clear enough and texture free you can't see it.
My film has been behind my rear tires for 4+ years and 51K+ miles and still looks fine.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I am looking for a reputable installer on the East Coast. (Delmarva Peninsula)
I live in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey Keith,....were you referring to me a few posts back? (if so, sorry about that)

Robert

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I am looking for a reputable installer on the East Coast. (Delmarva Peninsula)
I live in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey Keith,....were you referring to me a few posts back? (if so, sorry about that)

Robert
not you.

What do you recommend for white cars?
What I sell. lol.
Mr Administrator said I can't refer to it here though unless I pay him $1,100 per year. (again)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts