The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks,

Seen a lot of posts here for people happy with their starshield, some not, some replacing.

On my white Elise SC, which I suspect spent its early life outside at a dealer, the original starshield was already beginning to yellow when I bought the car in 09. The rockers were a little grungy, but no real functional damage.

Starting this past Thursday, I began the process of removing and replacing the rocker and rear clam starshield pieces (which were the worst cosmetic offenders). The car's paint looked stunning without the starshield.

In general, everything was fairly painful, but not unexpected, as I had good advice and instructions from Keith at Chuforia (thank you!!!).

Yesterday, I got the new Chuforia films put on, and they look really good, in fact from 2 feet away I can't even tell they are there. But, I'm not sure I'd want to go through the process again on my own ... I like learning to work on this car, but this was not my kind of fun (it was rewarding in the end though).

So, the next piece I could, would, or should do, are front clam pieces. I can feel the wave of dread flowing over me now as I think about this past weekend :crazyeyes

But, I'm cautious (overly sometimes) when I drive, and never go on interstates or other highways, and I'm always several car lengths behind whatever is in front of me ... as a result, my front clam starshield shows no signs of damage other than some slight yellowing. Plus, it's a white car, so if the paint did chip, it wouldn't be too noticeable, right? :shrug:

So as the anguish of the weekend wears off, and I revel in Keith's quality films and instruction, my question goes out to the folks without starshield or clear bra ... are you happy without it? how do you deal with minor paint damage, if at all? and how has your car's paint held up (please include years + mileage without films if you know)?

thanks!!!

:ST:

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I had to take my star shield off in part because I'm doing custom work on the car and also the star shield was past due and I tell you I can wait to put it back on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you had about as much fun as I did taking the old films off :D

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
After spending the last 4 months trying to remove the 9 year old star shield from my wife's car, I now consider applying a film to any car an act of vandalism.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The cars are so low to the ground, interstate or not, if you drive the car... your gonna pick up a rock chip. Even leaving a nice space between you and the car if front... somebody is bound to cut into the space and kick up a rock... OUCH! My 05 has 5900 miles on it and factory star shield and I've had zero rock chip damage until a week ago.

My star shield picked up a chip - looks like a small tear/chip. Although the paint underneath is probably uneffected, the tear is just as noticable. I'm assuming that every previous rock hitting my car in 5900 miles was protected by my star shield.

I havent priced replacing the upper clam piece... probably $200-$300. The star shield probably needs replacing due to its age alone. But I figure if I got 7 years of protection for cost of replacement and I dont have to respray my front clam because of chips - that's money WELL spent.

IMHO - I'd keep it. The first chips always the hardest!

Sun Tint on Keonig Lane does paint protection film... might be worth giving them a call. They're pros and know how to get the curves right.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am considering a different route. Clear urethane acrylic coat, with the addative you put in the paint (for when you are painting a flexible bumper), to make it softer and more "gummy". This should make the clear coat harder to chip, and more stone resistant.

·
Registered
203 Posts
KEITH is great!!! and very very helpfull!!!

keep the star shield on the car!!!! if you take it off.. get it replaced!!
one rock or truck tire or orange cone you will wish you had it..
it is not that much to protect your car.. the idiots that did mine before I bought the car did not put it on the side panels.. and now mine are all chiped and need to be sanded and repainted.. the shield has its down sides for sure.. but the positives out way the negatives on this car for sure!
It was a honda accord....... i would say NO WAY!!! but a lotus!!
FOR SURE!!!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
KEITH is great!!! and very very helpfull!!!

keep the star shield on the car!!!! if you take it off.. get it replaced!!
one rock or truck tire or orange cone you will wish you had it..
it is not that much to protect your car.. the idiots that did mine before I bought the car did not put it on the side panels.. and now mine are all chiped and need to be sanded and repainted.. the shield has its down sides for sure.. but the positives out way the negatives on this car for sure!
It was a honda accord....... i would say NO WAY!!! but a lotus!!
FOR SURE!!!
Plus Uno (+1)!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Keith helped me out as well. It took one small chip to convince me to do the access panels (front clam) and centerpiece between access panels, and headlights. He was responsive and very willing to offer advice. Application is definately an art... and after doing the access panels I paid to have a "pro" do the headlights" with the pieces from Keith.

I happen to have three different clear bra products on the car.... the ones I mentioned from Keith; the starshield and a 3m product on the lower portion of the doors.

I intend to take care of all of them like I have on my past convertible and use 303 aerospace. I have had great success with this product, and consider it "sunscreen" for different parts of my cars. Here is a "test" comparing un-protected paint surfaces; clear bra protected; and 303-treated clear bra. In the link below, a pellet gun is fired at various surfaces. I have used the product 3 years now, and believe it keeps the clear bra pliable and UV protected.

3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test - Automotive Articles .com Magazine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input and opinions!!!

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of redoing the front clam and side mirrors, but since those are still in really good shape, I'll probably leave them for a while longer.

:ST:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts