The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting tidbit, not sure if it has been mentioned. There has been a change in the Starshield coverage. All newer cars have the new change.

The film on the frontal area around the headlights, now extends father back along the hoodline and gracefully curves. It is kinda nice.

I had someone from Starshield come out today to replace a few bits and this was one of them. The Starshield film in front of my rear tires was chewed up. To my amazement, there was almost zero damage to the paint, though the film was visibily marred and hanging off like chads. I have the smallest of paint mars on one side, but it was so small I could barely see it. I had sections of film larger than 1/8" diameter ripped off from rocks.

The front was not damaged from rocks, but was removed for the body repair I had done. And actually it needed touching up. And schedules got mixed up a little, so I had the painter and the Starshield guy here at the same time. Throw in the rain, and a garage full of stuff to take to the SEMA show, and it was interesting.

It was great to see how things are done. I got to watch the painter work his craft, mixing the Saffron Yellow with some top sealer stuff. I saw how Starshield removes the little bits of stuff from the film and how he removed and applied the film. That does not look easy. Those few pieces took a few hours.

But it looks so great now. I am very pleased.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was the film in front of the rear tires after I got home from my Roadtrip. Hard to see, but most of that are holes in the film. A lot of it would not have been protected by the smaller film put on the cars from Lotus.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OneFastLotus said:
I wonder what prompted the change?
I heard "marketing."

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
by the film producer or by lotus? not sure it is going to impact sales one way or another. i will be curious to see what is on the titanium car friday

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Randy,
My Starshield is showing signs of wair on the lower sides as well. How does the warranty work and do you have their telephone number? I can't find any literature in my files.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mine's definitely showing some signs of wear after 3500 miles. I'm not exactly ready to have it replaced though. It should be good for another 10000 miles at this wear rate (though it may look a little shabby by then.)

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Steve W said:
Mine's definitely showing some signs of wear after 3500 miles. I'm not exactly ready to have it replaced though. It should be good for another 10000 miles at this wear rate (though it may look a little shabby by then.)

Steve
That will be about one year of driving for me (say 15000 miles). So are we going to spend $1000 every year to replace it?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jml1952 said:
That will be about one year of driving for me (say 15000 miles). So are we going to spend $1000 every year to replace it?
You would only have to replace two pieces, so it is not that bad. I would expect less than $250.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I think I'm expecting to have it replaced once a year. My miles tend to be on the twisties where there are a lot of stones. I hate to think what the car would look like without the star shield.

as for the bill, I think that's one I'll put up with, but that brings up another question, did you get yours replaced on warranty Randy?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am special. Not warranty. :) I would think the film doing its job, would not be something covered by warranty.

I had it done because the Elise is going to be a showcar next week at SEMA. Starshield and Lotus both want it to look good. Lotus is supplying another car to Starshield for the show.

As I was told, this is common for Starshield. The guy who did my car (cool guy and very good at this) was flown out from the east coast where he does Elises at New Brunswick, so he could prep about 30 cars for the show. Mostly for displayers like me.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
At the risk of once again being branded a cheerleader;) 3500 miles and my film looks as good as the day it was installed, don't know what you guys are driving in/on. I've got one or two dings where large rocks hit the material but I can just imagine what the bare paint would have looked like with the rock impacts.

Chris

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I would venture a guess that the A048s are going to tax the Starshield in this area more than the AD07. Softer tires always throw up more stuff.

This would be a good thread subject to try to compare the Starshield wear LSS vs Stock.

Low wear - Chris w/ AD07s (3500 mi)
Significant wear - Kiyoshi w/ A048s (2100 mi)
High wear - Randy w/ A048s (?? mi)

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm on the AD07s but fully half of those miles are on Twisties. It's common even when it hasn't rained to find stones have fallen onto the roads in the mountains around here. When it rains they actually run plows to push the stones off the side of the roads.

On my run this last weekend I came around the corner to find 7-8 6" rocks sitting the road. I doubt that starshield can stop that.

put me at significant wear, 3500 miles on AD07s

Steve

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
This would be a good thread subject to try to compare the Starshield wear LSS vs Stock.
I can tell you right now that LSS wheels/tires do cause more damage to the starshield on the lower rear sections. I put the first 1500 miles with LTS wheels/tires and the last 1700 with SSR's and YokA048's (granted I then tracked the car for 3 hours, drove the dragon's tail 3 times and auto-crossed once) and there was zero damage to the starshield when I got the SSR's. I wonder, is my situation covered under warranty?

I am considering having Lamin-x replace my side sections with a thicker film unless Starshield will warranty them. It may be worth if to me so I don't have to be bothered with it as I live 2 hours from the city. I doubt they aren't going to send a guy up to my house in the woods to replace 2 pieces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If warranty won't cover this, then I'd suggest moving up to thicker film. Our 12 mil film would work great for this, which is much more impact resistant than the standard 8 mil. Our endurance race customers in ALMS and Grand Am like using the 12 mil for this reason. Heck, some spec miata guys love using our 20 mil just so they can bump others without damaging the paint. Considering your situation and how many Lotus enthusiasts there are, we may make a custom precut just to replace that high impact/problem area.

·
Registered
670 Posts
A general question, as I don't see much use for most of this shielding. Does anybody have any wear anyplace except around the rear wheels ?

Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Besides the AO48s being stickier, they also stick out from the body more than the skinny 175/55 AD07s...Here's a shot taken from near the side air intake behind the door. Near the chip zone, but higher up.

And here is an AO48 front next to an AD07 front. It's much wider!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts