The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus has decided to do the starshield at the factory instead of the port and they just needed to update my order.
This sounds like it could be good news. It seemed to me like Lotus was having a lot of issues with the installation quality of the starshields. Saw lots of posts related to starshield warranty issues, improper installation, wear/tear, brown spots, etc. Just speculating, but it looks like they are moving it inhouse for quality and/or cost issues. Hopefully this will mean better quality, and fewer of these issues.

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think this is great news. I would prefer that the factory did this prior to final inspection and shipping.

John

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
If this is true then it's possible to see longer times from build to delivery. The paint has to "cure" 30 days before waxing or getting the clear bra.

Having Starshield done at the Prep Centers allowed the paint to get at least 2 weeks of curing time.

If Starshield is getting done at the factory then the painted panels will have to sit around 30 days before build or the built cars need to be stored for 30 days (or some combo).

Who started this rumor? A dealer? If so let's see some confirmation.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I speced my order at Silver Star (6 weeks or so ago) I was asked about Starshield. I said I wasn't sure, could I decide that later ? They said probably. Then an hour later called back saying I had to decide now. That would tie in with Lotus switching to factory install.

Steve

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hmmm, yeah I got a phonecall from my dealer chasing me on this a month ago - and my car isn't anywhere near build yet (let alone port) - last I heard it's a Feb/March delivery. So Starshield at the factory seems plausible and possibly preferable. It would explain why he chased me (a rare occurance for us all).... :rolleyes:

I did have a brief moment of excitement (should have known better) and had been somewhat baffled why he was asking so far in advance; now the weirdness falls slowly into place...

Odd thing is, with Starshield costing a flat fee of $950 or whatever it is ( at present), with the $ worth jack sh*t it's actually not so cost effective to do it there, kinda sorta maybe. I was trying to work out if this might help them NOT have to increase the list price but I can't figure the logic?!?!!?????

... but then b*llocks business moves come naturally to our much loved friends!

:huh:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Let's hope that the area covered by the Starshield isn't reduced. My cynical side tells me that the supplier might change with this move. Anybody else seeing an opportunity to increase the profit on an already highly profitable option?

Sorry -- I'm just cranky... :mad:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Hmm... I placed my order 10 weeks ago, build date should be coming up very soon. Told the dealer i was interested in starshield or alternatives, and they said "we will deal with that when it comes up then" - haven't heard anything else?!?!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm equally cynical - but in the UK the 'normal' vendor is a company called Armourfend - who have an excellent rep and if it's them doing it the kits/install they were very well designed and did the job perfectly.

That said Lotus may have some 14 yearold with 3 miles of sticky back plastic doing it. (Brits who were raised on Blue Peter will currently be chuckling).

:D

Goose said:
Let's hope that the area covered by the Starshield isn't reduced. My cynical side tells me that the supplier might change with this move. Anybody else seeing an opportunity to increase the profit on an already highly profitable option?

Sorry -- I'm just cranky... :mad:

·
Registered
156 Posts
ChrisStarrUSA said:
This sounds like it could be good news. It seemed to me like Lotus was having a lot of issues with the installation quality of the starshields. Saw lots of posts related to starshield warranty issues, improper installation, wear/tear, brown spots, etc. Just speculating, but it looks like they are moving it inhouse for quality and/or cost issues. Hopefully this will mean better quality, and fewer of these issues.

Chris
Interesting, I did hear from my dealer that they changed the StarShield design so that it covers more of the front of the car.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the switch to having it installed at the factory.

Good news is that the cars SHOULD process through faster once they get here since there is no more holdup for StarShield.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: Re: Starshield Change

Andreas said:
Interesting, I did hear from my dealer that they changed the StarShield design so that it covers more of the front of the car.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the switch to having it installed at the factory.
no.

I have the larger sized starshield and it was installed at the port in October

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
khamai said:
If Starshield is getting done at the factory then the painted panels will have to sit around 30 days before build or the built cars need to be stored for 30 days (or some combo).
Hi Kiyoshi,
Do you think this is necessarily true? There have been reports of oven curing with the Elise, at least to some extent. That could significantly cut down the cure time. Would be very nice, at the least.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
All Starshield cars after a certain date received the larger/curved front clam coverage. That has nothing to do with having it done in the US vs UK.

Who started this rumor? A dealer? If so let's see some confirmation.
Agreed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
clear bra

i had my clear bra installed by stickercity.com. it looks pretty nice and he also applied some protection for my headlights. he asked me what color i want but he recommded yello and now it looks pretty sharp on an ardent red elise. so you don't have to decide right away if you don't want to.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As of last week Starshield was still being applied at port.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Do you know what date they expanded the area for Starshield?

Randy Chase said:
All Starshield cars after a certain date received the larger/curved front clam coverage. That has nothing to do with having it done in the US vs UK.

Agreed.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Sometime before early November.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I recently ripped up a piece of the starshield when I had a glancing impact with a small object. My question: can this piece of the film be removed without harming the paint? I'm hoping I can put down a new piece of film but don't want to make things worse. Can it be removed and a new one put on?

thanks-
-doma

1 - 20 of 26 Posts