The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced any of the starshield sections on their own? If so how did it go? What was the hard part? What tips/advice would you give?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have done, easy to take off with hair drier if you make sure heated and spray soapy water. Small area are not bad to put on, but I have done two times on hood and get some small air pockets no matter how careful but was about 65 degrees out. I would suggest hot day with perfect lighting. My job was Ok for my track car to protect but next time I think I will take off my self and have done by a pro.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did a few panels myself a few weekends ago. Keith from Chuforia graffix was a great help, but the process wasn't easy.

I replaced the two large rocker panel sections and the two sections behind the rear wheels on the rear clam.

I did a few hours worth of prep work the first two days, removing the original films, cleaning off the adhesive residue, then washing and clay barring the surfaces. Day 3 was a warm 85 degree Saturday, dedicated to nothing other than getting the new films on. As a first-timer, this turned out to be a 5.5 hour process, and really was a patience tester. By far the most difficult areas were the concave ones, and our cars have several of these areas. Small bubbles are inevitables, but these can be worked out later or on their own in most cases after the films have cured.

I was actually quite surprised at how good they look, considering I was a noob and all the patience that was needed.

It was definitely worth saving the money, but honestly had I really understood the effort and frustrations that I was facing, I may not have ventured inward. That said, having gone through it, I'll probably do it again when it's time to replace some of my other panels.

Hope this helps.

:ST:

·
Registered
50 Posts
What tips/advice would you give?
Almost forgot this ...

1. Give yourself lots of time, and spread it out over a few days. Had I not done it this way, I think I would have been physically too tired to do a really good job at it.

2. Patience is key. Lots of deep breaths, and the fewer distractions the better ... I usually like to work with music, but I found in this case that quiet was better for me. For working the concave areas, short fast strokes seemed most effective for me, and this took a lot of time, and several mistakes originally that required me to pull the films off and start over.

3. Take breaks and stretch from time to time. Even with the whole car on jack stands, it's still really low to ground, and I was on the garage floor often ... my butt bones were sore for a few days, because I just got tired of moving my little sitting stool all over the place.

Staying refreshed, hydrated, and all that common sense stuff is key ... this is a tedious task, which for me needed very accute attention, and that can be tiring.

:ST:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Rep lI've done this a bunch of times. Replaced the rocker panels with Keiths kit 2 weeks ago and it came out PERFECT. It does take a bit of practice but Keith's instructions are good. Try to find a shop that does it and watch them do a panel, you'll learn a lot. Start with an easy panel like the rockers, don't even think of trying a nose until you have some experience. The S2 Elise nose is considered a difficult piece and the S1 nose one of the most difficult. Do it indoors in a clean garage with good light. You need a cou;le of spray bottles from the dollar store (big ones) a couple of microfiber towels, a rubber squegee (order it with your film), Johnson's Baby Shampoo, and 70% isopropyl alcohol (from the hardware or paint store...NOT rubbing alcohol) Wash your hands thoroughly before you start, skin oil will leave fingerprints in the adhesive. Get a friend to help support the long ends of the bigger sheets. Don't get the wife/ girl friend to help if they're the type who can't resist giving advice, it's easy to get distracted and frustrated. Get plenty of soap solution on your hands and both sides of the film as well as the car. Position the entire sheet roughly, then start at the upper rear portion (for a rocker panel) and wash out the soap with alcohol and squeegee gently into position. Work down and forward. When everything looks pretty good, start in the center of the panel and sgueegee firmly towards the edges to get out the small bubbles and remaining fluid pockets. You will probably have to trim a few edges under the car and in the wheel wells with a NEW exacto blade or single edge razor blade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts