The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starshield is designed to protect the car from chips, and to make the car look better.. But on white, underneath the paint chips is, well, white. So the chips are almost invisible. AND, the starshield is slightly yellow, which is MOST visible on white, the color the chips are least visible on. I'm not sure it's a good Idea to even apply starshield to a white lotus.. And do i really need the pieces on the back? I'm getting the SS replaced under warrantly I believe soon, but I'm tempted to have them leave it off after removing..

d

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My 2 cents... leave it off.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
NO SS, looks bad when it yellows, in fact I don't like it on any color Lotus, because of the edges and also the yellowing...

:shift: Just don't tailgate and watch out for loose gravel :up:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why put starshield in those places in any case? How the **** are stones going to hit the car from that angle?

Use it on the front, door mirrors, sills and a few other low down spots - like the very very low part of the rear wheel arch.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hopefully your luck wont change as soon as you take it off. I would only take it off when it faded. I take rock chips to heart. This is just my opinion and preference though. In any case, avoid following ANY cars with sticky tires or you will regret it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I pulled mine off the front nose and did not replace it. Saffron Yellow.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That yellowing looks nasty, I'd leave it off in the areas that are least likely to get debris contact but leave it on for the front bumper, behind the rear wheels etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're getting SS replace under warranty? Do they even cover that? Mine looks really bad from all the rock chips.
Starshield warrants their product for 5 years, and it is guaranteed not to yellow. It is not guaranteed not to chip from rocks however..

d

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I saw an 06 Aspen White and the starshield stuck out like a sore thumb, it looked horrible. On mine you can only notice the edges.
Was probably me. I hate the SS on my car. I may remove it this summer. The worst part about SS on AW is that the dirt actualy sticks to the SS, so even when you wash it, you get dirt following the contours of the Rocker/SS, and rear..

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
These cars collect little rocks like a geologist.
Bad analogy. My daughter's a geologist. She collects big rocks. It will take a U-Haul to move her collection. rotfl

I like the StarShield on my Chrome Orange Elise. I'd rather have it yellow (it hasn't) then not have it in place.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am having the starshield replaced on my white as well. The yellow is horrible. It looks so much better with it off and it pains me to put it back on, but I would rather not deal with the chips even if they are white. Up close they will still show. My starshield has plenty of marks on the side pieces that would have been rock chips.

I am actually not putting starshield back on and trying another brand. I will give my impressions after a few months since regardless of brand it will look fine in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I saw an 06 Aspen White and the starshield stuck out like a sore thumb, it looked horrible. On mine you can only notice the edges.
+1 I saw it new at the dealership and it still was quite visible and changed the color of that portion of the vehicle.
It's a tough decision to make on white cars because it looks terrible but so do chips...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I replaced mine because it was yellowing and stood out too much on my AW. But I'd rather have to re-film a few panels every year rather than to deal with all the horrible paint chips. I know people say they can just respray it, but it never looks quite right after respraying.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I say leave it off. The Starshield looks horribly on my Aspen White. I'm cosidering removing it also. My Elise is my daily driver so I'm going to have to learn to get used to chips, dents and etc. anyways.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
if you drive a lot leave it on

im about to go to my second set of starshield, IMO they are awesome, it protects your precious car, after driving the car for 13K miles in about 9-10mos, the front clam and the side panels need replacements already

if they werent there id be knee deep in body and paint debt LOL

and i have NOT seen them yellow except for the white cars

only thing that bothers me are the edges but i will have a fix for that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts