The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Sport Elise
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just here to complain. I know some of you have had an easy time with this. Some of you have also had a similar bad situation. I've tried a heat gun. I tried a steamer. I tried Goo Gone. I tried every adhesive remover known to man. I tried the 3M eraser wheel. The stuff is coming off in 2 millimeter flakes. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
I'm dreading mine in a few months. I've resigned myself to turning over to a pro but they all have caveats on price and paint so I may give it a try first.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
With all my research on it once it looks like crap and is over ten years old it tends to come off like Kdtamps.
My fear is the raised areas around the headlights from adhesive reaction underneath and the fact that the clam was painted. If they gave it plenty of time it should be of but if PPF is applied too soon after spray then it tends to peel the paint up.
Going to be a big leap of faith this winter.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
I resorted to 5" SS scraper blade in the end to remove a 20' 40 year old vinyl stripe that defied soda blasting on one boat applied over LP paint that I was removing. Eraser wheel had a time with it but the soda blast seemed to have made it one with the paint. There's some tough adhesives out there!

·
Less is Better
2,981 Posts
I've seen Larry Kosilla use this method a couple times in his videos. He claims it works better than heat guns and steam. Water has a much better heat transfer coefficient than air or steam, meaning it transfers heat to the surface much more quickly.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
I've seen Larry Kosilla use this method a couple times in his videos. He claims it works better than heat guns and steam. Water has a much better heat transfer coefficient than air or steam, meaning it transfers heat to the surface much more quickly.
He's cheating that was fresh PPF he was removing. I would like to see him use some ten year old crappy PPF as an example!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, Touring Pack
32 Posts
I've had similar experience to you Kdtampa. I started with removing mine from the mirrors since it was a small area to get my feet wet. It was tedious, but no paint came off. Then I moved to the back of the car on the rear bumper where the rear tire exit is. This area was larger and wasn't too bad until I got to some areas that had large stone impacts. These areas actually delaminated the paint from the composite body work so when I removed the star shield, a chunk of paint came with it. It's so low on the car that it isn't really noticeable, but it got me scared to work on other areas.

I really want to remove it all because it looks like all the paint on my car is cracked, but its just the stupid, 16 year old star shield.

I used a heat gun, plastic razor blades, and turtle wax adhesive remover. It was tedious but this combo worked pretty well. I am dreading doing the front clam...
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive lighting Pink Wood Paint Magenta

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Was the clam previously repaired & painted? Is that cracking in the PPF or the paint? If paint then it was either applied too thick or it got tapped.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Gonna be real fun behind the tire. I'll have to get creative with hot water and cloth to stay in contact to soften the adhesive. I like his idea and then plan to use steam and heat gun as well in problematic areas. I think those being the most yellow will be my test area.
Good thing I quit drinking years ago or I might whip out the Fine oscillating saw with scraper blade like Road Dad when I get frustrated.

Reactions: Devilstar

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, Touring Pack
32 Posts
Was the clam previously repaired & painted? Is that cracking in the PPF or the paint? If paint then it was either applied too thick or it got tapped.
No repairs. It’s just the old cracked starshield. The bubbles were mainly in the starshield but since rocks hit in that area often it still damaged the paint a little

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also dreading this. Mine isn't factory. But appears to be as old as the car. It's in horrible shape and appears very thin... I figure I'll spend more time and do my best to keep the paint intact vs a shop who will just say, "told ya so".

What color should I paint my Exige when I mess it up? 😂

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
369 Posts
After reading threads like this I let the pros remove my 10 year old star shield. They told me it came up easier than they thought. No paint came up.

I feel your pain... I decided that was an experience I did not want, so I paid for it in dollars. YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
This worked for me, but was a PITA.
Took forever and was demoralizing. I will never do it again. Whatever a shop charges, it’s worth it. Unfortunately my car was in many pieces already when I began removing star shield.
Automotive tire Ingredient Fluid Plastic bottle Liquid
Hood Wood Gesture Finger Floor
Sleeve Paint Wood Gas Flooring
Water Wood Road surface Grey Black-and-white

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I'm just here to complain. I know some of you have had an easy time with this. Some of you have also had a similar bad situation. I've tried a heat gun. I tried a steamer. I tried Goo Gone. I tried every adhesive remover known to man. I tried the 3M eraser wheel. The stuff is coming off in 2 millimeter flakes. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Hi,
I just removed every piece of Star Shield from one of my Elises. I used a steamer, 3M citrus-based adhesive remover and plastic razor blades. Time consuming, but worth the effort. No pulled paint anywhere. Results were excellent, but we did have to machine polish out some tiny scratches created by the plastic razor blades. After that, the paint looked great and I had a pro install a brand-new Star Shield kit to protect it. The car looks amazing now! Again, worth all of the work and $$$.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Use the boiling water method and this for any remaining residue. The Rapid Remover is used by vinyl installers etc.

Took me 30 mins for each rocker on an 06 original starshield in 2021.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I found that an infra-red source like a heat lamp better than a heat-gun since the IR heats the paint and hence the glue without weakening the film as much (I did 06 and 07 models last year). It was still painful and slow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts