The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting racing stripes on my 2017 Evora 400 (to make it go faster! :) ) and will want to remove the Starshield covering rather than "put the stripes on top" - right?

I mean, it sounds logical to me to not put the stripes on top of the Starshield, but then again... If I remove the Starshield (an effort all on it's own), then put the stripe on, THEN I'll have to put the Starshield back on...

So why not put the stripe on top on the hood? Worst case, if/when the stripe gets ready for replacement I can replace just the stripe or, at that time, replace both stripe and Starshield...

Clearly, suggestions appreciated!

Kevin

·
Registered
515 Posts
On top of starshield is my vote.
Removing the starshield sounds risky. Putting a new one on over top sounds like you could get bubbles on the edge of the racing stripe.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The only downside to the 'on top' would be a small line in the stripe where the starshield ends, and that could be solved by putting film under the stripe .
removing the starshield is not zero risk, and replacing it is not free.

Hell if the starshield ever had to be replaced, it would probably pull the stripe anyway, were the stripe under the film

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Zero risk removing it. It will just take lots of patience.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I put my stripe on top of the starshield. You really don't notice where the starshield ends.

I also ordered an extra front section in case I replace the starshield down the road. That way I have a matching spare stripe ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Zero risk removing it. It will just take lots of patience.
Nope, not zero risk.
Can lift the paint

I had pros do mine and it happened. Needed paint anyway from some bad stone chips but it dies happen

Not even saying it is common, but not zero risk

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Your pros pulled too fast after they overheated a section...just my guess. What I read somewhere while learning how to do it. I found the heat didn't do all that much after the first general warmup with a basic hairdryer with a wide head. Overheating the paint was mentioned.... Only stuff left on the car is front bumper and new black spats in front of rear wheel wells. It gets opaque with time....YUK!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Use a steamer and it lifts off easy, won't lift off paint unless you have a crap paint job underneath. I've done it twice now, on two different Lotus'.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Put the strips on top!!!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Use a steamer and it lifts off easy, won't lift off paint unless you have a crap paint job underneath. I've done it twice now, on two different Lotus'.
As I said, non zero risk

My car the rear came off find and 99 percent of the front came off. Maybe it was a mistake by the installer, but then that is indeed part of the risk.

Car came out nice

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I said, non zero risk

My car the rear came off find and 99 percent of the front came off. Maybe it was a mistake by the installer, but then that is indeed part of the risk.

Car came out nice
Same for me. I had one small spot on the front plinth that the paint came off with the starshield. It was like the paint was never bonded to the Fiberglass. Whole rest of the car was easy and uneventful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts