The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it only took 3 weeks of me owning the car to have some nice fine young americans carve up the front of it with their keys, parked on a residential street, in the middle of suburbia while I was inside hanging out with my friends.

So since I cant get a quote from the dealers untill tuesday due to the holiday weekend I was wondering if any of you had an idea of what it costs to replace that part of the starshield. It's the part thats wraps the badge and headlights up front and ends halfway up the nose. I did a search and found one post where someone said a dealer quoted him 325. Do you think thats the route i should go or are there good aftermarket alternatives in my area (inland empire, southern california)?

I guess im lucky the guys that did it are pretty retarded and only hit the starshield.

Thanks guys.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
I'm not sure how much just the nose costs, but I was quoted $1200-$1500 for the entire front clam.
The bottom half runs $450 if that helps... I believe I remember the dealer quoting just over $1200 for the whole front clam (top/bottom).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI for anyone else who runs into this issue Lotus of Newport got back to me today saying ~310 for the part and ~250 labor to replace it. Im still waiting on Lotus of BH and Starshield Coperate (which is actually closer to me than any dealer) to get back to me.

Tandemracer let me know how that turns out for you. Im just afraid that if I pull off the starshield and it turns out that the keymarks went deeper then the film then ill be on my own to touch it up and stick the new one on. And I dont trust myself to properly line up the new starshield. I figure I may as well pay to have it fixed right and atleast pin the libability of it going wrong on someone else.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interested as well. I want to get my side rockers re-done as they are all marked up.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I sell the part for $149. That beats $310. It is easy to replace yourself. I'm guessing if you had never done it before it might take you a half hour.

·
Registered
351 Posts
SweedDaddyD, what brand are the plastic films? I'm interested in pieces for entire doors (both side) as an extra protection! BTW, thanks for comment on 5 StarShine stuff. rotfl

Also, is there any detailed installation instruction anywhere on this forum? :shrug:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
SweedDaddyD, what brand are the plastic films? I'm interested in pieces for entire doors (both side) as an extra protection! BTW, thanks for comment on 5 StarShine stuff. rotfl

Also, is there any detailed installation instruction anywhere on this forum? :shrug:
I sell X-pel patterns using 3M and Avery films depending on the application. I've tried them all and found these 2 to be far superior to anything else out there, for clarity, ease of installation, conformability, strength (how hard it is to penetrate or stretch them to failure,etc) etc. You will find that I sell them far under retail. Suggested retail on the hood is $249.99.
I include installation instructions, but there are also plenty of them on you tube.

There is more info and some videos in this old thread of mine:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/group-buy-starshield-rockers-169-99-free-shipping-51323/

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
OP...I would also call Specialty Car Craft in L.A.....see if they are cheaper

SweetDaddy...do you have Starshield that could wrap a Gut spoiler? seems hard to wrap this piece

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SCC says 350 installed. Not bad, save me from myself maybe! Now I got the decision. Myself for 150, SCC for 200 more, or dealers for 200 more after that :-/ I think obviously the dealer is a bit out of the question lol!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Tandemracer let me know how that turns out for you. Im just afraid that if I pull off the starshield and it turns out that the keymarks went deeper then the film then ill be on my own to touch it up and stick the new one on. And I dont trust myself to properly line up the new starshield. I figure I may as well pay to have it fixed right and atleast pin the libability of it going wrong on someone else.
Installation was easy but a bit aggravating at the same time. The trickiest part was just keeping the starshield from sticking to itself when I removed it from the backing. It took me a while but not because the install was difficult but because I kept finding small specks of dirt underneath the film. I had to peel up sections of the film, remove the speck and reapply several times. Just make sure your car and your workspace is really clean and you will make the job easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts