The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow autox enthusiasts.. I plan to pick up some new starspecs and I was curious to see if anyone has found to be the best size for the exige on LSS wheels. Im also runing Ohlins and plenty of added HP :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
205/50/16 front, though they're too tall (.5"), and heavy (2 lbs per corner).
235/40/17 rear, though they're too tall (.5"), and extremely heavy (6 lbs per corner).

Consider the Toyo R888 instead.

195/50/16 (.1" shorter than stock, and only .6 lbs heavier per corner)
235/40/17 (.3" shorter than stock, and only 2.8 lbs heavier per corner)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I run the 205/235 quoted above. Seems fine, no rubbing at least that i can tell.

The added height (i.e. change in final drive gearing) is welcome with more power thats for sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have a source for these weights? I've been looking for this info.

205/50/16 front, though they're too tall (.5"), and heavy (2 lbs per corner).
235/40/17 rear, though they're too tall (.5"), and extremely heavy (6 lbs per corner).

Consider the Toyo R888 instead.

195/50/16 (.1" shorter than stock, and only .6 lbs heavier per corner)
235/40/17 (.3" shorter than stock, and only 2.8 lbs heavier per corner)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Did you go for the 245 or 235 rears? I have 245s on my stock lss wheels. They dont rub or look pinched at all. I am sure 8 or 8.5 wheels would be better but it seems to work pretty well.

Of course if I had 8.5 wheels I would try to shove 255 or 275 in there somehow :)

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
but 245s have the potential for more grip :)
After they warm up.

Also, I am not sure wider tires are going to work better if they are too wide for the wheel.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
but 245s have the potential for more grip :)
But with the exact same contact patch area, what you would gain in lateral grip, you would give up in acceleration, and braking grip. Also, because the tire would be a bit too big for the wheel, taking a set could be slightly more challenging. Lastly, it's a heavier tire, so you'll lose a bit of performance there as well. Everything is a trade-off.

All in all, the 235 is the better choice.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
considering the 10 mm size difference, it is all speculation without rigorous timed data.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I'll let you know how they handle 400whp :)
Oh hell yes!

considering the 10 mm size difference, it is all speculation without rigorous timed data.
Probably very little difference between the two in the real (non-numbers) world on most of this stuff. However, I think the combination of the taller sidewall/increased bulge causing the rear to take a set slower could probably be felt pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think the combination of the taller sidewall/increased bulge causing the rear to take a set slower could probably be felt pretty easily.
felt easily, not a chance. 10 mm difference in width isnt going to make a massive difference in anything.

My bet is they will be a tiny bit faster than the 235, but again hearsay with the stopwatch. Autocross is of course driven by times.

GRM objectively tests stuff like this all the time, and the results are often iteresting, and counterintuitive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts