The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to mention that I am new here and to lotus ownership. I am a week away from bringing home a 2005 Elise in ardent red (a dream car of mine ever since I saw them).
While taking it for a test drive this past weekend I noticed that the push start button was loose. The car fired right up on first try and seems to be in good shape otherwise. Is the loose button something I should be worried about? Is it an easy fix, either by the shop or at home?

Thanks in advance for a response

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Easy fix at home might take you 10 min. Take the switch panel off which is held in by 2 screws in the top back of the little coin tray under the panel. Pull the bottom of the panel out a little then slide it down to free the panel. There is a plastic nut on the start switch which you should be able to just use your fingers to tighten.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent!! thank you much for the prompt responses. I will give it a try as soon as I get the car home this coming weekend.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,056 Posts
Congratulations on your imminent demise!
Most people that work on their own lotus' have engineering degrees or related, but we can tell that you are naturally gifted and if you can fix the starter button per John's excellent description, and you have sufficient assets and income, you will enjoy owning a Lotus for many years.
If the only thing that concerns you is the starter button, you have found a great car. The fix for the button should be as John describes. The one thing that you might watch out for are the delicate plastic tabs on the little panel that have a nasty habit of snapping off with little to no encouragement. Perfectly normal and if you can't find a replacement on these forums, you can probably order one from Lotus Garage for a few dollars.
Enjoy!

·
Older but getting faster
528 Posts
While you have the panel off, it's a great place to mount your V1 remote display.

LET THE MODS BEGIN!!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts