The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The start button in my '08 Exige started acting up a few months ago, often taking several pushes in order for the switch to engage. I bought a new Lotus switch which fixed the problem until yesterday, when the problem started up again. The first switch lasted four years, this one lasted four months. I'm pretty sure it's the switch, as I hear no relays click or notice any lights dim when I press the start button and nothing happens.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My Elise developed the same issue which then progressed to having to push the switch multiple times to get a start. The culprit is the microswitch on the back of the starter button. See the info on the this link
url]http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/starter-button-not-working-120503/[/url]

The part that needs replacing is #21 on the diagram. The button itself is not the problem. Cost is about $60 from Lotus or it can be sourced from electronic suppliers for $10 to $12 bucks.
Attached Images

·
Registered
391 Posts
http://www.apem.com/files/apem/broch...02-A03-ENG.pdf
Non Lotus source for micro switch.

The switch block is the problem. The block No. is AO157B and from the looks of it it probably could be sourced from Digikey (along with the rest of the assembly if needed.) the terminals on the existing switch block are solder connected to the wiring harnes so it would be a quick solder job to swap it over. The complete harness & switch block ordered through Lotus is $60.00

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.apem.com/files/apem/broch...02-A03-ENG.pdf
Non Lotus source for micro switch.

The switch block is the problem. The block No. is AO157B and from the looks of it it probably could be sourced from Digikey (along with the rest of the assembly if needed.) the terminals on the existing switch block are solder connected to the wiring harnes so it would be a quick solder job to swap it over. The complete harness & switch block ordered through Lotus is $60.00
I get a "404 Not Found" if I click on your link.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've replaced both the switch and the block and it works for a half of a day... pretty much the only way I can start the car is to hold the start button down, then turn the key to the on position. If I turn to the on position first, the button doesn't work.

Pretty lame. would love another idea to try.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Another thing that is funny with my 08: I had my dash go dark but still read revs and speed and such... I did the retarded trick of holding the door open and then holding the trip reset button while the key is on. That brought my dash to full bright and I can adjust the dimming but the dash lights are on all the time regardless of whether or not the running lights are on...

What a piece... Thank god I enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've replaced both the switch and the block and it works for a half of a day... pretty much the only way I can start the car is to hold the start button down, then turn the key to the on position. If I turn to the on position first, the button doesn't work.

Pretty lame. would love another idea to try.
You can run a wire from the ignition switch to the start button which will allow you to use the ignition switch in a conventional manner. The only problem I'm having is that I can't find a female blade connector that I can slide onto the ignition switch. The male blade connector of the ignition switch is recessed about an inch with no room for any of the female blade connectors I had lying around from Home Depot.

Maybe Radio Shack has some smaller connectors...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another thing that is funny with my 08: I had my dash go dark but still read revs and speed and such... I did the retarded trick of holding the door open and then holding the trip reset button while the key is on. That brought my dash to full bright and I can adjust the dimming but the dash lights are on all the time regardless of whether or not the running lights are on...

What a piece... Thank god I enjoy driving it.
Ditto.

I'm on my fourth instrument cluster, fortunately all under warranty. The last instrument cluster with the latest software update has lasted a year and a half (knock on wood).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.