The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an early Elise s2 (2001) with Rover K and Meta alarm.
After a long stop (3 months), I tried to turn it on... no way, the starter motor seems dead!
Of course I replaced the battery, but no success.
All the fuses in the front fuse box are ok.
The alarm seems to work (blinking lights, siren, and so on), but I suspect there's is something wrong with the immobiliser.
This is what happens:
I insert the key and disable the alarm by pressing the button on the fob, I turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump noise. Now when I try to start the car, the starter doesn't start at all (no noise).
Is there anything else I can check?
Is there a way to check if it's due to the immobiliser or not? TADTS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael, thank you for the answer.
I checked and there's no voltage on the starter, so I've a few questions:
  1. is there any "inline fuse" on the wiring of the starter motor, or they are all in the fuses box? (someone talked about it in a very old post here: Flat Battery/Immobiliser problem | Lotus Elise | LotusBBS.com)
  2. if it's due to a broken immobiliser, shouldn't it cut the fuel pump too, or they are different circuitry? (I can hear the noise of the fuel pump so I guess it's being activated by the immobiliser)
  3. where can I find a detailed picture of the immobiliser? According to the lotus service manual it should be positioned on left of the engine, but I can't recognize it... :shrug:
  4. according to the service manual, there's also a 20A fuse called "start immobiliser" in the ECM box... can it be envolved? (it's not easy to reach so I can not check)
  5. to bypass the immobiliser, is it enough to short-circuit in and out or do I need some electronics more? (eg. like when bypassing the lambda probe)
  6. should it be broken, is it easy to replace ("plug&play") or do I need the -expensive- assistance of a Lotus garage to "reprogram" the Meta alarm or something like that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts