The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 Lotus elise that wont start when i push the start button. It does not make any clicking sounds when i push the button. If i push start the car, it will start. If i bypass the starter energizer wire and give direct power to starter solenoid, it will start. So the problem is that somewhere along the line, the starter energizer wire lost its power. All fuses appear to be fine, and my guess is that it is at the Multifuntion Relay Unit located near the ECU, but i don't know how to test it, nor do i have an easy to read diagram of it.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

thanks

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Sounds like the MFRU. I had the same problem with the same symptoms. I just bypassed the MFRU for the starter solenoid and installed a separate dash switch.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 Lotus elise that wont start when i push the start button. It does not make any clicking sounds when i push the button. If i push start the car, it will start. If i bypass the starter energizer wire and give direct power to starter solenoid, it will start. So the problem is that somewhere along the line, the starter energizer wire lost its power. All fuses appear to be fine, and my guess is that it is at the Multifuntion Relay Unit located near the ECU, but i don't know how to test it, nor do i have an easy to read diagram of it.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

thanks
First check fuse F13 and if that's OK, it could be either the immobilizer or MFRU. There are a couple of ways to trouble shoot;
1) Bypass the immobilizer
2) Check if there is 12V on starting at the black wire at the MFRU. Unfortunately, there are two identical black wires, so you will have to try both.
Michael

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
download the service manual and included wiring diagrams. Best $25 or so you will ever spend if you do DIY work on the car. I uploaded contents, but the whole thing is too big to upload.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts