The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lotus guys and gals!

I'm a happy new owner of a 2012 Evora S and love pretty much everything about the car. The looks, the power, even the finish. Except this annoying thing: the engine would crank while in gear and clutch not depressed. And the starter motor is powerful enough to move the car even with the parking brake set. Only the habit of always leaving the car in reverse gear has saved me from embarrassment of launching my 3 day old Evora into a Chrysler 200. I remember reading here that something similar has happened to another forum member during a test drive. So this must be the behavior on some (all?) Evoras. I've been driving manuals since 16 years old, every single car I've ever been in has an interlock on the clutch - such that you cannot crank the engine until you press on the clutch pedal. Is there any reason for Lotus to build Evoras without this interlock? Are there any mods out there to prevent it from starting unless you engage the clutch?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
clutch safety switch.. adds too much weight . You know Collin wouldn't approve of adding weight over safety ;)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I haven't noticed such an interlock on any of my cars, but pressing the clutch does become a habit. Since Lotus minimizes country dependencies they may not install such an interlock just for US cars.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Every newer manual trans vehicle I have owned I've disabled that stupid clutch switch. I was glad I didn't have to on the Elise!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I had a service advisor at my lotus dealership start my car in gear. Fortunately I left plenty of space ahead of the wall in front of me that she didn't hit anything.

She knew nothing of our cars, despite having been certified as a Lotus service advisor. She didn't last long. Goes to show you looks can get you in the door, but won't help you keep you there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Clutch switch or no clutch switch it makes no difference, If you start the car properly and safely then you will start the car with the clutch in. who starts a car with the clutch out anyway???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, i've my driving licence for 17 years, and at the driving school they told me to press the clutch pedal before starting the engine, all the time!!!

Plus for those that are Elise/Exige owners, it's a bad idea to let a gear engaged when the car is off, the gear box is the weak point of the car, so you risk to damage it, it's better to use the hand brake ( except if it's after a track day or the brakes are too worm!!! ).

But anyway, it's better all the time to disengage a gear and to press the clutch pedal, because less mechanisms are in use, and it means les constraints, so easier start.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I start mine with the clutch out occasionally. Example - the black car has been baking in the Florida sun and the interior of the car is just shy of a thousand degrees. I stick my head in the car, slide the shifter into neutral (give it the nice jiggle to make sure she's in neutral), then start the car so it can cool down for 30 seconds before I burn my legs on the hot leather. Of course the ebrake is set the whole time.

My dealer did tell me a story of a guy who recently bought a used Exige from them. The car needed some minor body work as part of the sale (scuff mark on the door), so the guy goes over to the body shop to pick up the car. He hops in, hits the start button without depressing the clutch. Car goes through the wall of bodyshop. Over 10k of damage to the car.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I have always left my MT cars in gear. My practice is to always push in the clutch while starting. The Lotus is the first car I had that did not have the clutch safety

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
@mikela33, i leave my evora in gear while parked everywhere because I have noticed that the parking brake will not hold the car in place if not FULLY pulled (i.e., one click shy of full isn't enough), so id rather err on the side of not coming out of work and finding my evora in a different spot then where I parked her :p.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i hate those stupid interlocks... i have never owned an automatic, and most every manual owned has not had one, i prefer to not have them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It is actually easier on an engine not to have the clutch interlock. When you push the clutch in and start the car you are applying a thrust on the crankshaft and of course it has no oil pressure until it has been started. Ultimately that is hard on the crankshaft thurst bearings. Not a huge deal but over time it will cause more undue stress on that bearing.

Best thing for starting the engine is actually to put in in neutral and start it without pushing the clutch in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@mikela33, i leave my evora in gear while parked everywhere because I have noticed that the parking brake will not hold the car in place if not FULLY pulled (i.e., one click shy of full isn't enough), so id rather err on the side of not coming out of work and finding my evora in a different spot then where I parked her :p.
It's not just Lotuses, my old car (Ford) was the same. The parking brake will not hold it on a steep hill unless the brake handle is all the way up. Brake cables get some slack with time, so it's always better be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
My Porsche's and Evora have all done this - it is the way of most sports cars that I know of... Well those you can still get in MT :) (insert snicker @ Ferrari and Lambo cars here)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
:shrug::tadts:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Wasn't it in the US where people confused the gas and brake pedals on their Audis and Toyotas?

Pretty much the same category for me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts