The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
k24 swapper
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Just got my elise a few weeks ago. Already found myself yawning at the stock power. Goal: 300hp at 10psi
Bought a (turbokits.com) custom spec'd t28 from a member on here, and also the BOV from the kit, 550cc injectors, and a stage 2 clutch.
I have left over stuff from other builds I've done on lesser vehicles, so the knowledge and parts is/are available. I just need more platform-specific wisdom on a car that financially frightens me.

My plan is to mount the turbo to the left of the license plate, and dump the downpipe to the right of the license plate.
It will have a self-contained oiling system.

Questions/confirmations:
Do I need an upgraded fuel pump?
Can I run just water meth in lieu of an intercooler?
Do I require an upgraded ECU system, or can I just get it dyno-tuned locally?
Who is a good tuner near MD?
[email protected] is pretty safe, right?
Stock spark plugs are good?
What do people typically do for the turbo water-cooling?

Am I forgetting anything?
All help is super extra appreciated to the highest degree. :mw:

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Hey guys!
Just got my elise a few weeks ago. Already found myself yawning at the stock power. Goal: 300hp at 10psi
Bought a (turbokits.com) custom spec'd t28 from a member on here, and also the BOV from the kit, 550cc injectors, and a stage 2 clutch.
I have left over stuff from other builds I've done on lesser vehicles, so the knowledge and parts is/are available. I just need more platform-specific wisdom on a car that financially frightens me.

My plan is to mount the turbo to the left of the license plate, and dump the downpipe to the right of the license plate.
It will have a self-contained oiling system.

Questions/confirmations:
Do I need an upgraded fuel pump?
Can I run just water meth in lieu of an intercooler?
Do I require an upgraded ECU system, or can I just get it dyno-tuned locally?
Who is a good tuner near MD?
[email protected] is pretty safe, right?
Stock spark plugs are good?
What do people typically do for the turbo water-cooling?

Am I forgetting anything?
All help is super extra appreciated to the highest degree. :mw:
Fuel pump is recommended but not required.

Water/meth is finite leaving you vulnerable to detonation/destruction. An IC is a better solution. Combine the two and you're able to have more headroom.

I'd contact Phil at BOE for tuning unless you have a spectacular local tuner.

No idea who is a worthwhile tuner in MD.

300hp @ 10 psi is only as safe as the tune/build.

I'd ask your tuner about the plugs.

Supply water? Your question doesn't make sense. If you have a water-cooled turbo obviously you need to supply water.

San

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You should be able to get away w/ the stock fuel pump, but it will be on the edge. No on the stock plugs. FWIW I ran NGK BKR7E copper plugs on my stock 2zz w/ GT28RS @ 12-14psi. go w/ an air to water intercooler if the budget allows, it's very hard to get adequate airflow over an air to air IC on these cars. It's not a bad idea to add meth injection, but i wouldn't tune for it, just use it as an extra margin of safety (esp if you are running stock internals). Also, watch out w/ the heat generated by the turbo, i've seen some cooked clams over the years.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You need intercooler
Boe can tune stock ecu for turbo

heat is a issue. You should run side scoops and rear panel delete.

·
Registered
577 Posts
+1 to this. I've got a hybrid of the Radium solution and custom air/water intercooling. When I'm back in the States next week, I'll take some pics and provide more valuable input. I'm getting ~300 whp @ 11psi, in the 260 lbs torque range, and 380 whp/300 lbs torque at 16 psi. I've got a fully built engine though and have spent days on the dyno tuning my VVTi (helps when you have free access to one).

Here's my very detailed build thread from the first go around. Since I've switched over to air/water much has changed since then, but that thread has some good info.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/deja-vus-im-fixing-almost-everything-once-thread-119695/

·
k24 swapper
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel pump is recommended but not required.

Water/meth is finite leaving you vulnerable to detonation/destruction. An IC is a better solution. Combine the two and you're able to have more headroom.

I'd contact Phil at BOE for tuning unless you have a spectacular local tuner.

No idea who is a worthwhile tuner in MD.

300hp @ 10 psi is only as safe as the tune/build.

I'd ask your tuner about the plugs.

Supply water? Your question doesn't make sense. If you have a water-cooled turbo obviously you need to supply water.

San
I guess what I meant to say is: I'm trying to do this build in a manner that doesn't molest the car too much, so what is a way I can get the water to the turbo without having to hack hoses too much, etc.

·
k24 swapper
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 to this. I've got a hybrid of the Radium solution and custom air/water intercooling. When I'm back in the States next week, I'll take some pics and provide more valuable input. I'm getting ~300 whp @ 11psi, in the 260 lbs torque range, and 380 whp/300 lbs torque at 16 psi. I've got a fully built engine though and have spent days on the dyno tuning my VVTi (helps when you have free access to one).

Here's my very detailed build thread from the first go around. Since I've switched over to air/water much has changed since then, but that thread has some good info.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/deja-vus-im-fixing-almost-everything-once-thread-119695/
Stalking this thread!

·
Registered
640 Posts
There's a U joint at the firewall the you can tap into for a water source to cool the turbo. The ForcedFed kits use this. If you get under the car it's about dead center up against the firewall. 10psi on a stock engine is pushing it. 8 is safer. You will need a fuel surge tank if you drive the car with any kind of speed in the corners. Fuel starve under boost will blow your engine. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are in Maryland you are close to Jermaine at Vision Function. He has the capability to do custom tunes on the factory ECU.

·
k24 swapper
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's a U joint at the firewall the you can tap into for a water source to cool the turbo. The ForcedFed kits use this. If you get under the car it's about dead center up against the firewall. 10psi on a stock engine is pushing it. 8 is safer. You will need a fuel surge tank if you drive the car with any kind of speed in the corners. Fuel starve under boost will blow your engine. Been there, done that.
perfect answer, thank you a bunch. :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you are in Maryland you are close to Jermaine at Vision Function. He has the capability to do custom tunes on the factory ECU.
Sure.....if you want to blow your engine!! Jermaine doesn't have the knowledge of the ECU to tune the car properly. But....it's your car :facepalm

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sure.....if you want to blow your engine!! Jermaine doesn't have the knowledge of the ECU to tune the car properly. But....it's your car :facepalm
Funny because he had no problem tuning my highly modified turbocharged Exige without the engine blowing!

However, feel free to keep throwing around your biased and incorrect opinion if you like.

Looking back at your post history, you make quite the habit of going out of your way to bash any competitor not related to Phil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Funny because he had no problem tuning my highly modified turbocharged Exige without the engine blowing!

However, feel free to keep throwing around your biased and incorrect opinion if you like.

Looking back at your post history, you make quite the habit of going out of your way to bash any competitor not related to Phil.
ugh ohh fight fight fight!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts