The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Evora wouldn't start this morning on my way to work.

I hear clicking, but the engine wouldn't turn over. So, I got a friend to give it a boost, and it started. It took several tries after fiddling with the clips (not sure if we just had bad contact).

I drove it to Autozone thinking that it was just the battery, but they said the battery is fine, it's the alternator that isn't charging the battery properly.

And guess what, the warranty on my 2010 just ran out last month. And the nearest Lotus dealer is 350 miles away.

Anyone know what the price on a new alternator is? If the battery isn't charging, could it be anything BUT the alternator? The car started fine yesterday, without any hint of struggling to turnover. There's no squealing, so the belt isn't slipping. I wouldn't want to them to ship me an alternator only to find out it wasn't it. Or, should I source it from Toyota?

I plan on taking it to Secret Service Motorworks at the end of the day, and see what they find out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It is relatively easy to check the charging system.
Just measure the voltage across the battery +/- terminals when the car is at idle. With a healthy alternator, it should be 14+ volts, and if the alternator is not working it will only be the battery voltage (~ 12 V).
Also, be sure to check that the connections to the battery and the chassis ground are tight and not corroded.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I measured 12V with the engine running. The terminals are clean, and tight.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Source from Toyota sounds like great plan - sure hope that is an option!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The former Lotus Tech at Secret Service Motorwerks says he didn't find anything wrong. The voltage with the engine on was bang on, about 13.5 or 13.6 if I recall. He did a few tugs around the generator, and didn't think that anything was amiss. Remember that I was measuring only 12 volts right after I got the car boosted. SSM is about 20 miles away by freeway, so may be somehow the generator was back up to full power after a long drive at 2,500 rpm?

It hasn't failed to start since then, but when I leave the car idle for more than a few days, the starting is always a little dicey. May be there's a parasitic draw that crept in their somehow, because I have not had this problem before.

I'm considering getter a battery tender and using it when I go on vacation, but I'm still trying to find one that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the trunk rather than using the alligator clips. (The battery compartment is a real PITA.)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the update

There's a thread going on praising the lotus branded trickle charger which has a inline connector so can leave the battery end attached to the battery.

It's now provided free with new cars... That should tell us something!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I believe the Lotus branded charger is just a rebranded CTEK charger.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here is the same mender/tender that is available on line. It just doesn't have the LOTUS logo on it. It is what I use on all my cars. Works well. :UK: The attachment in the bottom of the photo is the one you attach to the battery terminals and let stick out from the velcro / hard to get to compartment. Then you just plug the quick connect together and shut the boot/trunk of the car and you are ready the next time you want to drive. I've left it charge for 3 months in the winter and the battery is fully charged when I start it up in the Spring. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
they installed one of those on mine but i got a new Interstate installed by the dealor and have never had an issue - knock on wood

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang it! My Evora died again today!

Can you believe it? The car was hot, and I was coming home and stopped at the mail box. When I got back in, there was nothing from the starter. Not even a whirring or a click. The dash lights were working and the A/C was blowing, but wouldn't start.

The starting has been getting harder and harder but didn't think it would die in the middle of the drive.

I've already replaced the battery, and it's currently on a Deltran battery tender.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Doesn't sound like the battery if A/S and lights are both working.

Starter or starter relay?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that what it was. The dealer says a new starter is on order. Apparently, it's not the same as the Camry starter?

·
Premium Member
7,550 Posts
She's been good to you so far. These parts can fail on anything and probably fail earlier if hit with nominal voltage on a routine basis. Your not having a tender till recently qualifies for routine. I have 3 tenders. 2 little 500 mV units I use on my Shorai (Evora) and Miata when sitting idle and a bigger 1.25A that is either on my X35d or occasionally the Range Rover (Evoque) to make sure its topped up if we 'll be a away for a week. I 've had all my batteries last 6-8 years courtesy of these little guys!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, that what it was. The dealer says a new starter is on order. Apparently, it's not the same as the Camry starter?
The same thing happened to me, one day it would be fine the next day not. I tried a new battery, still the same? Then I pulled the starter motor and replaced the worn brushes and all is good and has been ever since

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TXBRIT, thanks for the input.

The starter was going to takes weeks coming from Hethel. So, the dealer rebuilt the starter, and it's working good. Nice to have my baby back in the garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts