The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something else I noticed when driving the new Elise.

First, the engine is very quiet. With the stock exhaust, it sounds like the car is not running. Be careful when starting.

Second, the starting procedure is a little interesting.

Steps one and two are interchangeable.

1. Insert key, turn to on. Watch lights show up on display. Note red light indicating car is still alarmed.

2. Press unlock on keyfob and alarm light turns green.

3. Push start button.

My question is, putting aside concerns over him possibly hotdogging in the car, is this a car you can leave with a valet parking attendant. Will he be able to start it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I guess it would depend on what re-arms the alarm. Is it done by pressing FOB lock button or does it happen simply by turning off the car, or maybe turning off the car and opening the door. Anyone know?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
670 Posts
I assume there is a valet mode. My Civic has an aftermarket
disable device. You hold a small square piece (on keyring) to sensor under dash. It beeps twice and you have 20 seconds to start car. If you hold the piece against sensor a second time without starting the car it beeps three times and will then start at any time for a valet. It will continue to behave this way until you hold the piece against sensor again and get two beeps signaling valet mode is off and you now have only 20 seconds to start the car.

BTW my Elise will not be Valet parked. I'm more worried about
crunching the unbumpered clams than about a joyride.

Steve

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Does the alarm reactivate every time the key is removed?

Usually, most people arm/disarm the car first, then start it. So, I don't think it would be a problem on the Elise, as long as the alarm does automatically re-arm itself when the engine is turned off or key removed. Usually, when you valet, you just leave the key in the ignition. Also, considering how hard the Elise is to get in and out of, they may just leave it in front.

I'm worried about the valet parking the Elise behind cars that won't realize I'm there because the front hood is too low. I'm thinking detachable flag poles that attach to the front grill and a red flag that say "Lotus starts here" would be....interesting, but save $$$ in clam shell bills.;)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Randy,
It's actually easier to press the alarm button on the fob before opening/starting the car.

As I recall, it automatically resets on when the door is locked.

As to visibilty when parked, figure I'll get some cones like the phone company uses whenever they parK
Chris:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I never valet park voluntarily. There have been a few exceptions where it was unavoidable, but fortunately I rarely need to valet park.

I would offer the valet a nice tip to let me park the car wherever they want it. I would not want to count on a valet to avoid scratching the nose on driveways or to not bang the door on the side of another car getting in and out.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
As to visibilty when parked, figure I'll get some cones like the phone company uses whenever they parK
Chris:)
Hey, does anyone know where I can get "police tape?" You know, the ones that say, "Police Line Do Not Cross." ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allan Gibbs said:
Does the alarm reactivate every time the key is removed?

Usually, most people arm/disarm the car first, then start it. So, I don't think it would be a problem on the Elise, as long as the alarm does automatically re-arm itself when the engine is turned off or key removed. Usually, when you valet, you just leave the key in the ignition. Also, considering how hard the Elise is to get in and out of, they may just leave it in front.
Yes, my concern is when you ask them to go get your car and the youngster jogs over 3 blocks and then has no idea how to start it.

It seemed like I had to hit the unlock button each time, once the car was turned off. I don't even think the key was removed, but I could be wrong.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other place that would be interesting, is a drive in car wash, where they climb in and start the car to drive it out to the drying area.

Either scenario will not happen with me though. I don't see me trusting anyone else to drive the car. I can't think of any other scenario that would require someone else starting my car, other than a close friend...and maybe... maybe a family member.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Valet arm/disarm is probably a non issue for most of us because we just simply wouldn't let anyone drive it. In most cases when I "valet" I ask them if I could leave the car right in front of the venue whether it's a club or restaurant in most cases and I have never been refused unless there isn't any room at all. It also helps if you have an "exotic" car (lets not get into the exotic car discussion again). But I think the Elise will be unique enough (initially) so that most valet guys are glad to let you park it right up front. It's good for their business to do so.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The thought of handing over the keys to my baby to a 17 year old valet sends chills up my spine, I fear I'll have nightmares about it tonight:p
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
huggy bear said:
But I think the Elise will be unique enough (initially) so that most valet guys are glad to let you park it right up front. It's good for their business to do so.
Agreed. Good idea on asking to be able to just park the car yourself in a prime spot.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The other place that would be interesting, is a drive in car wash, where they climb in and start the car to drive it out to the drying area.

I would be afraid to put the Elise into a car wash, because of the low ground clearance.

I once saw a Truimph Spitfire go thru a car wash and it had problems and came off the track since it was so narrow and low. I took my MGB thru once, it leaked really bad and my brother who was in the passenger seat and about 8 years old at the time, starting crying since he thought he was going to drown.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Most cars with soft tops recommend against going through mechanical carwashes. I can't imagine letting my Elise go through one, even with the hard top on.

Last time I got my smog check, the guy wouldn't let me drive the car into place. But at least he's not going very far and I can watch him. And the service guys will be able to drive it. And perhaps a few select friends. But I hope to avoid valets.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Is it possible to just not use the alarm/keyfob? The keyless entry fob for my Miata lives in a file folder. This sounds like just another technological nuisance. Something else to carry around, another button to press. Give me a key, or a remote entry unit. Not both.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I hope an aftermarket solution similar to the Caddy XLR becomes available. So long as the keyfob is in a close proximity (3-6 feet) to the ignition, the car starts with the press of the starter button only. No fob nearby, no start. It would eliminate the annoying two step process.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Here's an old thread trying to figure out what alarm we get with the Elise. Maybe Randy can tell if the key/fob looks the same as the ones pictured:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2816&highlight=cobra

I'd imagine you could do away with the mechanical key, except for the steering column lock. Does the Fed Elise lock the wheel, or is the key just a switch?

I'd love to use just a fob and no key. It's one less paint-scratching thing to have in your hand when you open the door.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts