The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My license expired last month. I have not been driving, temporarily, but do plan on getting new license within 2 weeks. I'm just waiting on my birth certificate to arrive.

The original email said to notify within 30 days or reinstate license within 30 days to properly underwrite policy. My agent then replied to original email, sent it my way, and just said a standard "please call or email with new info." The DMV alerted them.

Now, Im not sure if that meant asap or just do that sometime within the 30 days. I want to call and explain my situation, but Im afraid if I tell them, they'll yank my insurance asap. Or am I safe within the 30 day period?

Also, the original email was dated July 11.

To clarify, I mean I would like to be courteous and let them know they won't receive new info for 2 weeks (max), but I'm wondering if it's necessary. Because like I said, she could have meant just call or email the office instead of mailing it in (which the original email said to do).

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Well your insurance is prepaid by at least a month so I wouldn't expect them to yank it. Just call your agent and let them know.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My driver's license was expired almost 3 years before I realized it. Went to add some vehicles/equipment onto my government driver's license and the guy doing that caught it.

Not sure why insurance would be tied to a driver's license? Should be able to insure a vehicle even if you don't have a license.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
My driver's license was expired almost 3 years before I realized it. Went to add some vehicles/equipment onto my government driver's license and the guy doing that caught it.

Not sure why insurance would be tied to a driver's license? Should be able to insure a vehicle even if you don't have a license.
Risk is determined as much by the driver as it is the car. Most, if not all states share dl info, including points, with insurance companies.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Legally if you do not have a valid drivers liscense and something happened the insurance can void any claim. Just call them and let them know you are waiting for birth certificate. They do have a right to cancel if a valid liscence is not "tied into the car". If you let them know you are just waiting for certificate, they will usually keep the policy for a short time until you get a liscence. Otherwise, they CAN cancel you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts