The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I had a Braille, and I don't drive the car enough for it to be usefull to me. For a full size, what are we using these days?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Odyssey 925 is what I use. You can use a smaller Odyssey as well....but I like the 925. I made up a special bracket for it to hold it down.

Buy them on EBay. I bought them from a marine dealer in St Louis. If you look at the Odyssey website. I think it is odysseyfactory.com or odysseystore.com you can see the dealers in St Louis.

If it is not readily apparrent...let me know and I will dig up my receipt.

There really is no battery like the Odyssey line. I use them in everything I drive...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what size will fit stock?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
what size will fit stock?
As far as I know the closest is the 925...but you have to find a way to lock if from moving toward the rear of the car. I went to a metal place and bought some 2 inch wide stainless thin sheet. bent it and rivited a box like structure up. Did not take me long to figure something out.

There are lots of posts on this. do a search on odyssey

·
Registered
182 Posts
Optima batteries, if one will fit. Well worth the money.

I have used these because my travel schedule had me out of the country for long periods. It is nasty to come back to the States and find the car cannot be started at the airport car park because the battery power is depleted. Optima batteries solved that issue.

Will one work for the Elise? I don't know; perhaps one of our members or lurkers know. The chart previous appears to indicate there is an appropriate red top. I'll find out when the stock battery gives up. Using a battery tender has kept the stock battery healthy for 3 years; it should work for a couple more.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Optima batteries, if one will fit. Well worth the money.

I just had to chime in here. I used Optimas. My experience with them was poor. I had one in my Seven and in my elan. After 2 winters of charging them and having them go flat...I just threw them out. Now I dont know if they have got better since the early 90's and I see they now have different colors or types....but I will not buy another.

The Odyssseys are just unreal. I had them in my Seven. Last I heard they were still working fine. This is like almost 10 years.

I have had an Odyssey 925 in my Kobota Tractor for 8 years.I take it out in the fall and put it back in the spring. Never touch it. I just put one in my Elise...

I have them in my elans....my sons Miata.

They are just unreal.

I have NEVER had to replace one yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting. Never had trouble with my Optima batteries but I had purchased the first around 1995 for one car and the second around 1999 for another car. Perhaps some quality issues had been solved by then. Both were subject to severe service; service that crapped out stock batteries and standard replacements.

The technology used by Odyssey and Optima looks similar. Based on that, I'll give Odyssey a look when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts