The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a source for custom static cling numbers and graphics. I'd like to get these sorted before my elise arrives. Also can you put stickers on static cling material, how do you run event sponor stickers without sticking them to the car?

I've never owned a fiberglass car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have a local supplier, but I am waiting for the car to get here to do some measurement and fitment for numbers, class letters, and graphics.

It won't be too much longer if you are willing to wait, if you want to get letter/number heights.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, I can make vinyl numbers that will stay on at triple digits and come off.....Its called low tack adhesive...Most sign shops do not carry it...

Over time you will have to replace them as the more times you use them the weaker they get....same with static cling.....

If you apply static cling on water and squeegie it out from under the decal....it should survive triple digits....

later

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hey Pat, are you going to come up with some for the Elise? Will you have access to an S2 Elise soon enough? Do you want me to supply with some pics and dimensions?

I would be very happy to give the business to a fellow Elisetalker and all around good guy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Shameless plug for a friend who does static cling signs:

Tony Palmer @ Palmer Signs ([email protected])...

Great guy, and a fellow track junkie to boot.

FWIW, he claims that the signs coming off at high speeds have more to do with how they are applied than anything else.

Hope this helps...

Best,
John

·
Registered
446 Posts
Request for dimensions

Guys & Gals,

I'm having a local vendor cut me some reusable vinyl graphic numbers for the coming year, and I have an immediate request for info:
What size background circle can I fit on the forward parts of the doors? In other words, what are the outside dimensions of the doors?

I'm thinking of black numbers (& class letters) on a white circle background, on an Ardent Red car. Kind of like the old school numbers on 50's-60's sports cars:

As Paris would say, "that's hot!" :rolleyes:

The numbers themselves must be >8" tall by 1.25" stroke, with the class letters at least half that as per SCCA rules.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also the font used is important. The timers and workers must be able to tell 1 from L and the like. It is spelled out in section 3.7 of the 2005 SCCA rule book. You can down load the rule book from the SCCA home page (SCCA.com).

·
Registered
446 Posts
So after measuring the doors and doing up a mock paper set to see how it would look, I went ahead and ordered:

white 16 inch background circles
black 10 inch tall by 2 inch stroke numbers
white 5 inch tall by 1 inch stroke class letters with ~.25 inch black outline around it

I'm thinking of locating the class letters "SS" up on the C pillar - will take some pics when I get them in.

For the circle itself, my measurements of the door indicated that you could go as big as a 18 inch circle with maybe an inch of room above and below it, but 16 looked better asthetically with the 10 inch letters.

·
Registered
442 Posts
coulthard fan said:
So after measuring the doors and doing up a mock paper set to see how it would look, I went ahead and ordered:

white 16 inch background circles
black 10 inch tall by 2 inch stroke numbers
white 5 inch tall by 1 inch stroke class letters with ~.25 inch black outline around it

I'm thinking of locating the class letters "SS" up on the C pillar - will take some pics when I get them in.

For the circle itself, my measurements of the door indicated that you could go as big as a 18 inch circle with maybe an inch of room above and below it, but 16 looked better asthetically with the 10 inch letters.
Any photos yet of this setup?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I get my numbers from Solotime, as noted above, and get reusable vinyl (low tack). 8 inch numbers, 5 inch letters. The look and work great, and do not come off.

Chris' (EVL) are of the same material on the ST Elise.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yep, I saw those - they look good. I'm still curious about Coultard Fan's gumball idea, though . . .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Au111 said:
Yep, I saw those - they look good. I'm still curious about Coultard Fan's gumball idea, though . . .
I was working the gate when he came to the event last week. Because I was working I got no pic. :(

But it did look good :D

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts