The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? I dropped my Elise off for an oil change yesterday, only to find out that I had rung up a $900 tab this morning. Without me knowing, the dealer performed the 20k service which ended up being a bunch of visual inspections since I like to keep the car very well maintained on my own accord.

The reason I'm posing is because $900 is a gaping hole in my unemployed wallet that I wasn't expecting to spend and I'm not sure what to do. Is automatically performing the incremental services standard practice at Lotus dealerships?

k.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Anything they do should be authorized by you. If you told them to only do the oil change then you should not be liable for anything beyond that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Usually, you sign the work order authorizing the dealer to do the work you requested when you turn the car over to them. Depending on what you signed, you may or may not have authorized them to do more than you thought. If they did the work on their own without authorization, you shouldn't be responsible for it. Read the paperwork.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never signed anything, just left my keys with the attendant. Thank you, guys! I was about to call a few friends in hopes of borrowing money.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
we require our customers to signe the work order for a pre-autorized amount when they drop the car off. if further work is needed we ALWAYS call before doing any work. if we pick there car up, we call and make sure that we know exactly what work they want done. i thought this was standard practice at all dealers.
the only way this isn't the case is if you dropped the car and said do whatever needs to be done at 20k. if you just said i want an oil change then in my opinion you should only be responsible for the oil change only.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yep...if you didn't sign anything and there was no authorization...pay for the oil change and tell them to give you your car back. If they don't, call the police. If they complain, tell them to pound sand.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
name names please.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I would learn to change your own oil. its easy, and it will be done correctly.
it also wont cost the $200 or whatever they hit you for.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
As an aside, There is no 20k service. There is a trans check due at 22.5k which would also be an oil change interval but the cost for both those services including safety inspection etc. should be a fraction more than half the amount you are being charged.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I never signed anything, just left my keys with the attendant. Thank you, guys! I was about to call a few friends in hopes of borrowing money.
You avatar caption indicates that you are in the "O.C." - if this is in fact California, then they have laws that require the shop to provide you a written estimate that you have to agree to. If the bill exceeds the estimate by a small amount (10% maybe?) than they have to contact you for authorization. If they didn't follow the law, then you don't owe them a thing (other than what you agreed to).

Other states vary, and some (many?) have no such law at all. So, before everyone tells you what the law is;

What state are you in?

·
Banned
241 Posts
Apparently that can get you into trouble around here.

Who knew? :shrug: I've learned (at the unfortuante detriment of the community) that it's better to not say anything at all or remain ambiguous.
Get in trouble..........are we in High School or what? Show some balls........what dealership screwed you???? Or........are you leaving something out???:shrug:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe me, I'd change the oil myself, but don't want to deal with hassle should there be an engine malfunction while my warranty is intact. Once the warranty expires, I'm all over it, though :)

Thank you for the help! I'll see if they have paperwork showing my authorization on a 20k service. Since I don't recall signing anything or even mentioning a 20k service when dropping the car off, I doubt they'll be able to find anything.

Pheewww...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I changed the Elise's oil once parked in the street in front of my house. Just don't let your feet hang out in traffic.
if all the racks are taken in the shop, i do them on the floor. its by far the easiest low to the ground car i have seen for oil changes...

if you didnt sign the RO or were given only an estimate for an oil change, the dealer will eat the rest of it... you dont have to pay that bill...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
if you didn't sign the RO or were given only an estimate for an oil change, the dealer will eat the rest of it... you dint have to pay that bill...
Again, this varies from state to state. What state did this happen in? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts