The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for so many questions today but I'm starting to think really hard about getting an Elise.

My house is up a mild hill. As a result, the driveway is somewhat steep and my current car (Ford Focus ST) can sometimes scrape the pavement just under nose as I back out. My previous Fiesta ST scraped a bit more. The amount of scraping is not a big deal for either of these cars. I never even think of it much.

However, with an Elise, I dont know how much worse the scraping would be. Is this a particular problem for this car? Can excessive damage occur this way causing big repair bills? Of course, I would drive an Elise out of my driveway extremely slowly to minimize any impact.

Thanks for your guidance!

·
Registered
733 Posts
i think that scraping could, if done really aggressively or inattentively, break the license plate plinth off.. usually it just leads to scrapes through the winglet folds in the clam chin.

i use a little fiberglass lip to protect the clam, so when i misjudge an incline, as long as i go slowly the car is undamaged.

do you have an opportunity to test with an Elise before buying? maybe someone local to you could give it a try.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,277 Posts
The scraping will be far worse in a Elige, especially if you have a splitter. Can you regrade the driveway?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah if you’re scraping in a Focus & Fiesta, you’re definitely going to scrape in an Elise.

Edit: The main issue I’d worry about is if you hit hard enough or put too much pressure on it while scraping, you can crack the fiberglass. Versus normal bumpers will normally just bend.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I agree with the last two posts. You could possibly look at some good fiberglass damage/chips that one time you lose your focus backing down your driveway. Not cheap to fix unfortunately. Your in a tough spot unless you smoothen out your driveway some.

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
This is simple. Find another house with a level driveway and move. You could also create a Lotus-only garage with a separate, level driveway. Seriously, if you can't angle your current cars into your driveway to avoide scraping, you won't have much of a chance with an Elise, especially if you have a front splitter.

Take a picture of the offending driveway and post it here. That way we can see what you're dealing with and someone might have an idea you can use.

San

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is simple. Find another house with a level driveway and move. You could also create a Lotus-only garage with a separate, level driveway. Seriously, if you can't angle your current cars into your driveway to avoide scraping, you won't have much of a chance with an Elise, especially if you have a front splitter.

Take a picture of the offending driveway and post it here. That way we can see what you're dealing with and someone might have an idea you can use.

San
I dont think my original post was written very well. I know for certain that an Elise will scrap coming out the driveway. That's not a question. If a Fiesta or Focus can scrape, of course the Elise will. My question was more of, how much damage is possible. I would certainly go out the drive way as slow as humanly possible. I dont know what a splitter is so can't comment on how that affects the situation.

This doesnt show the street unfortunately but maybe you can get an idea a bit from this photo.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think that scraping could, if done really aggressively or inattentively, break the license plate plinth off.. usually it just leads to scrapes through the winglet folds in the clam chin.

i use a little fiberglass lip to protect the clam, so when i misjudge an incline, as long as i go slowly the car is undamaged.

do you have an opportunity to test with an Elise before buying? maybe someone local to you could give it a try.
An interesting idea, were it driving season for the Elise. I'm sure most of them in the SE Michigan area are now comfortably in storage. Maybe in a few months.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I may have missed something but this is the most economical solution I found , I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
My driveway is not steep. I've had Porsches, Corvettes and currently have an Evora, none of them scrape. But when I owned my Exige it scraped thats how low these cars are. I had to take the entrance to my driveway at an angle. The bottom of the nose is part of the one piece clam-shell. If you scrape you will cause damage and I could see breaking the clam if you scraped hard enough.
You need a new driveway or move.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow, my driveway is waaaay worse than that. I just go really slow and enter/exit the driveway at about a 45 degree angle. I've also got a carbon fiber splitter on my car, so it takes the abuse rather than the fiberglass.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, my driveway is waaaay worse than that. I just go really slow and enter/exit the driveway at about a 45 degree angle. I've also got a carbon fiber splitter on my car, so it takes the abuse rather than the fiberglass.
Ok Good to know. My driveway gets steeper the closer it gets to the street and that part can't be seen. My Focus ST can actually get out of there without scraping at certain angles, but I dont really try to avoid it since the scrape is not too severe. I know that the Elise is much lower so it will unavoidably scrap. I just dont know how bad it is.

What is a splitter? Is this an aftermarket part?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok Good to know. My driveway gets steeper the closer it gets to the street and that part can't be seen. My Focus ST can actually get out of there without scraping at certain angles, but I dont really try to avoid it since the scrape is not too severe. I know that the Elise is much lower so it will unavoidably scrap. I just dont know how bad it is.

What is a splitter? Is this an aftermarket part?
https://www.gregsraceparts.com/collections/carbon-fiber/products/grp-elise-front-splitter

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
To answer your question, the damage could be bad the fact your other regular cars scrape. The Elise is pretty low. Think of it more as a snow plow lol. I would worry about cracking the license plinth or “teeth” of the front clam. Your pic of your driveway doesn’t look bad but hard to tell the dips and so forth. So going by with your description, maybe ramps or leveling your driveway is the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would recommend you get those driveway ramp things, or use a temporary solution like pieces of wood or something every time you pull in/out. If you're scraping in a Fiesta you would be REALLY scraping in an Elise. Adding a lip/splitter to the car can help protect from minor scrapes so that you damage the splitter and not the car, but the kind of scraping you would be doing isn't really even just scraping and is going to put major pressure on the front of the clam (probably a fairly significant portion of the weight of the front end). Over time I wouldn't be surprised to find that you either cracked the lower edge of the clam or cracked around the front mounting points where the clam attaches to the crash structure (possibly rear ones too depending on how much pressure is being placed on the clam). It's more likely you'll damage the mounting points in my opinion and if it's steep enough you may even break them the first time you try to pull into the driveway.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are steeper driveways than yours, including mine. I use 2 pieces of wide plywood when going in and out. Not much of a hassle since I don't drive mine that often.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts