The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everyone pretty much off the roads, and living where there are some very desolate roads, I briefly took my car (2012 N/A) up over 120mph (nobody on a barren road). I noticed at that speed the front steering felt very light, almost as if the front tires had minimal contact and it was an unnerving feeling. I would have expected the car to feel more “planted”. I did replace the tires with Nitto Motivos a while back I had 31 psi on the front and 35 psi on the rear.

I’m wondering if this is more than likely the tires or something else. I don’t have any body modifications on the car.

·
Scott M
293 Posts
Only time I've done that speed in my Evora was at a track and noticed no light steering as you described. Don't have suggestions for trouble shooting (assuming that might be of interest), but suspect others will chime in within some suggestions.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
What is the age of your tires? check the manufacture dates for all tires. What was the outside temperature? Is your alignment correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires are not even 2 years old and it was in the high 70’s. Actually my first thought was the tires may be the problem even though I was well within the speed rating for them.

The best was I could describe it was it felt like I was hydroplaning on a dry road.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
If your wheels are 18/19's. the poorly recommended stock pressures of 33/36 are too high. Try 30/32.
If you have the 19/20's with the ridiculous 35/38 recommendations , again no more than 32/35 is ever needed. I see 150 routinely and the car is solid as a rock. EFFORTLESS

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your wheels are 18/19's. the poorly recommended stock pressures of 33/36 are too high. Try 30/32.
If you have the 19/20's with the ridiculous 35/38 recommndeations , again no more than 52/35 is ever needed. I see 150 routinely and the car is solid as a rock. EFFORTLESS
yes 18-19. I’ll try lowering the pressure next time I try it (which will be a while I’m sure). If that doesn’t help, I’ll have the dealer do an alignment check and of course if all that fails, it has to be the tires. I doubt an aftermarket aero kit is the solution.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
Can you please post pictures of your tires? I have seen tires get rotted only after 2 years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Limbdoc, what are the date codes on the tires?

If you have the 19/20's with the ridiculous 35/38 recommndeations , again no more than 52/35 is ever needed. I see 150 routinely and the car is solid as a rock. EFFORTLESS
Do you mean 32F/35R (psi) for the 19/20" wheels?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you please post pictures of your tires? I have seen tires get rotted only after 2 years.
I took the car back to storage last night. I don’t have the garage space but will be sure to next time. Your thoughts wouldn’t surprise me considering how infrequently I use it.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
Next time you visit your car, take a close look at the tires in between the threads and make sure you don't see small cracks, that would indicate that the rubber is rotted and not safe for such high speeds. You can also check by using the tip of your nail on the tire, if it feels too hard and you can't poke it with your nail, the rubber is not good. Is the storage climate controlled? Performance tires will go bad if exposed to cold temperatures.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My first thought is the Motivo is an all season tire plus air pressures might not be appropriate for them on a light car like an Evora.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Storage is climate controlled but here in the Desert it never gets too cold, and of course it’s pretty dry. I appreciate all of the responses and I’m leaning towards just a poor choice in tires on my part. At 80 mph, which is usually the max I routinely drive, the car feels rock solid and planted, but this time I felt very uneasy.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
What is a Motivo???

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
856 Posts
I’ve also felt the front get light above 110 mph on a straight back road. When my car felt light, it had a difflow diffuser and the GT4 rear wing. I blamed the light nose on a heavy rear. I had 19/20 wheels and kept the tire pressures as recommended by the door jamb. My car had fairly new PSS tires all around (not so new that they weren’t broken in). Perhaps it just needs a more aggressive alignment or as mentioned above, just a reduction in tire pressure. That might have explained my loss of grip in one corner this one time...

I don’t think I’ve helped solve any issues, but I’m here saying I’ve experienced the light steering as well. Which, I’ll add that all my tires have worn completely evenly every time I need new ones. No inside/outside wear or cupping. For that reason, I always thought my alignment and pressures were spot on. But I do a lot of highway driving as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lets face it..these Evora's can go fast and handle but most will not see any speeds of 110 for long durations..
Wish we could but to much traffic in most areas ..Seen 110 but short blast of adrenaline.
With higher speeds and even road surface everything changes between vehicle and road and temperatures and tire compounds.
So not even a little surprised to hear some talk about higher speed issues.
Take it up slowly to test the handling and when you find it uncomfortable then know your limits and if you want to go faster
then start adjustments ..
I know at 69 and living in NJ I will not be seeing to much at over even 100 any longer...LOL
Sure if I could find a place legal to run and not be afraid of law I would..But I also do not want to go to a race track with to many rules.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lets face it..these Evora's can go fast and handle but most will not see any speeds of 110 for long durations..
Wish we could but to much traffic in most areas ..Seen 110 but short blast of adrenaline.
With higher speeds and even road surface everything changes between vehicle and road and temperatures and tire compounds.
So not even a little surprised to hear some talk about higher speed issues.
Take it up slowly to test the handling and when you find it uncomfortable then know your limits and if you want to go faster
then start adjustments ..
I know at 69 and living in NJ I will not be seeing to much at over even 100 any longer...LOL
Sure if I could find a place legal to run and not be afraid of law I would..But I also do not want to go to a race track with to many rules.
That's what track days are for, even for this old fella.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
Sure if I could find a place legal to run and not be afraid of law I would
(CoronaVirus allowing) Lotus, Ltd runs an HDPE at Watkins Glen the third Wednesday in June. SCCA runs track days at NJMP or Pocono. (No Excuses, LOL)

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
347 Posts
Right now doing bicycle riding for first week and I am at 22mph top speed and steering is not light but my heart feels heavy..just doing 6 mile loop and building up to 35 miles..LOL

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
If you are in NJ, you have many HPDE events at NJMP. This is the proper place to learn to drive at speed. Even the white knuckle grip is typical amongst our novices.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts